• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

St Croix premier rod

CaptSpike

Bought one of these rods back in early Dec., when I got home and put a reel on I noticed the eyes were not even close to lining up. Instead of driving an hr and a half to return the rod I emailed St Croix. No reply. So I called them. They told me on the premier rod you can hold the blank and gently twist the eyes back where you want them. I said they move? Because to me they look like they are epoxied in place on the blank. They reply that the blank will twist and hold the position it is twisted to? I reply Really? So I hung up and gave it a shot. They were right all the eyes are now lined up. Don't know what they use for a blank material but I've never heard of a rod blank with that capability, at least not until now.

Spike

I bought one of these too and I totally agree that for the price you can't hardly find a better value. I also have a Jason Mitchell walleye rod that the tip guide is a little off from the rest, I wonder if twisting it will straighten it out?

hahahaha! That SHOULD not happen, that means your guides are not epoxied to the blank anymore. they will eventually corrode and or get water in them and lose strength, short term your fine but long term your gonna be upset.I would NEVER accept this on a rod I build for a client...

hahahaha! That SHOULD not happen, that means your guides are not epoxied to the blank anymore. they will eventually corrode and or get water in them and lose strength, short term your fine but long term your gonna be upset.I would NEVER accept this on a rod I build for a client...

No the eyes are epoxied to the blank. The actual blank will twist and hold it's position. I was skeptical at first but that is what happens. thus why I wondered what material they make the blank out of.

Spike

They are nice rods, not quite as nice as the Jason Mitchell rods IMO. I think that the St Croix lacks backbone. I used St Croix and JM Rods for years, but after purchasing a couple Thorne Bros rods they have either been put on the shelf or used as dead sticks.

Had the same problem with my croix rod. they were straight when I bought it and jacked up later. They guides will twist and they sure seem like they are still epoxied to the blank. I dunno, it's strange, but I lined them back up.

Not a huge fan of that rod. I like St. croix blanks for custom long rods though.