• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Devils lake 1st time

Hey everyone looking to plan a trip up to Devils. Have always wanted to but just never happened. My son is going to school @ NDSU this year so it's a good time to finally make the trip. I hope to get a few of my friends with wheel houses to make the trip also.

Where is the best lake access points for wheel houses, with bait shops, restaurants and so on close by. We dont need lodging as we would all have wheel houses But would like to go support some of the local establishments.

I have info for Woodland resort?? Looks like a nice place.

Was thinking about coming mid to late February but would possibly come later if the fishing is better later in the season ??? THANKS FOR ANY AND ALL INFO

CHOMP

Woodland Resort is good and they'll have all the info you need. The fishing can be great later in the winter, but getting around on the lake can be tough because of all the snow later in the season. There aren't plowed roads like there on on LOW, if you are expecting something like that. Again, Woodland will be up on everything for you.

Have fun.

Yank,

I found out that Woodland Resort will plow a trail out for your houses(for a fee). You should be good.

They have bait, tackle and everything you'll need. It's not far from Devils Lake itself either.

Thanks it sounds like Woodland is the place to be. I will contact them. Is there a lot of fishing done rite in I think it's called creel bay ?? or do alot more people venture off to more remote places on the lake with wheelers/snowmobiles??

Thanks again CHOMP

Creel Bay can be really good at times for jumbo perch and walleyes. Devils Lake is very large and there are accesses in many different parts of the lake. The bite may be good in one area for a while and move to another area after a while.......like any other lake. If there is alot of snow, often the only way to access many areas is by 4 wheeler or snowmobile so it varies alot. Not a very good answer, but getting back to part of your question, yes, Creel Bay is a popular area. Again, the folks at Woodland Resort will do their best to get you on the fish.

KFK,

Thanks for the info, It's kind of what I expected with the no plowed roads. Was hoping to keep things simple and not have to bring the sleds/wheelers it's just one more truck and trailer we will have to drive. I think we will come with the wheel houses set up camp on some walleye structure and we can move around with the portables and trucks during the day for perch. We might not get to the best spots but we still should be able to get to some good fish. Hopefully they dont get a ton of snow to make a mess of things out there. Nothing worse than deep snow and slush !!!

Yank,

You'll be fine and I's suspect you'll find some fish. There shouldn't be any slush yet in February. Get on here again before you come and I'll give you the latest report that I have.

KFK I'll be on every chance I get checking up on reports till we leave. I can't wait we picked out a date of February 15-18. I think we have 3 wheel houses going as of now. Hope to have a couple more by the time we go. Thanks and keep the fish reports coming. I don't know who is more excited me or the kids grin

Chomp

Hey everyone thanks for the info !! KEEP THE FISHING REPORTS COMING. I have contacted Woodland resort about coming out with the wheel house. It sounds like they have everything we need. They also said they have roads to get around on or would even plow us a trail to a specific area for a fee. I cant wait to get out there.

GSP4ME great idea with the down load app HOWEVER I got a dumb phone instead of a smart phone and my wife said I cant take her's ???

Thanks

Chomp

I've heard good reports from all three places. A guy I work with did well around Doc Hagen's last weekend. It's looking like stable weather now for the next week or so at least. That'll help. I've heard good reports from the north end of Creel Bay and by the towers too at times.

It varies from week to week. They'll get you on some fish.

Well we made it back from Devils. The fishing was not good and the drive was the worst I have ever encountered. The drive up was 7.5 hrs with picking up my son in Fargo. The drive home was 12 hrs. The worst was from Devils east to Grand forks radio was saying 45-50 mph winds and was a cross wind. Many times It had my wheel house completely sideways and a few times started pulling the truck with it. With the white out conditions it was by far the worst drive I have ever been thru.

Fishing started Fri evening in the Bud bay area in 18' we got a few eyes which only 2 of them were over the 14" mark. Sat morning we dropped the camera down to see what we were marking on the graphs and we had a steady flow of eyes going thru but most would not show any interest. I tried many diff colors from big to small with no luck. after breakfast we got out in the trucks to find something better. We had 6 of us punching holes went thru 2 tanks of gas in the auger trying to find fish. We tried shallow to deep with no luck most fish graphed we couldn't get to bite. Sat night was even slower. Sun am the fish seemed to have moved out very few seen on the cam. We got on the move with the trucks again and worked our way east. We tried about 5 diff spots around the towers area to creel bay. Our last spot was a rock pile in 40+ FOW we picked up a few jumbos and 2 silvers. The perch were nice the biggest was 13". It was very nice out BUT then we were told about the STORM. We pulled the shacks onto a deep brake close to shore just down from woodland resort for the night. Only picked up a couple eyes and pike. Overall we kept 9 perch, 4 eyes, and 6 pike/2 silvers for a batch of pickled fish for a group of 6. Truck travel was fine off road but the wheel houses had to stay close to the higher traffic areas. Even tho the trip was not good I would like to go back and try for the perch again. It couldn't be any worse could it ???? grin

Hey all. Heading up the the big pond for the first time ever in mid March. I know its 3+ weeks away but just woundering what the current report is and also is there anywhere on the lake that we should stay clear due to dangerous travel conditions? Any helpful info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Heading up to Devils on Wednesday! I will report on Monday how we do. Fishing out of Woodland but we are running and gunning full portable with sleds. Sounds like 12 inches of snow fell yesterday.