• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What flasher to get for a back up?

MNMONSTER

Sell the Bird and buy a Vexilar FL22. You won't need a back up with that unit! I have owned three different Vexilar units dating back about 15 years. My first Fl-8 is still being used and has never had a problem, nor have I with my other two.

had a marcum for a total of 7 days bought it for a backup for my vexlar fl-18 biggest piece i ever owed returned it and went back to my vexlar this is way over 10 years ago and my vexlar is working like the first day I bought it..This is why I don't need a backup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Things change alot in the electronics world overnight let alone 10 years...Been a happy former Vex owner for 6-7years now with no regrets... I did have to send 2 of my 5 Vex's in to be repaired in the past so they aren't perfect either... My old Marcum has been mine 6-7 years and bought it used and never been repaired yet... My new one is on the 2nd seaon and flawless to....For the feature advantages in the Marcums and in most cases lower priced it's a good move...

I run a bird 55 with a 35 for backup. I fished in holes 2' apart with both of them, when my son was with, with minimal inteference. Honestly would buy any flasher out there with no worries. They all do the same thing. The main reason i fish with the birds is the features for the money. And the big screens. Nobody i know has ever had a problem with any brand so pick one and try it out. Pretty easy to resell.

I have owned Birds, MarCums and Vexilars. They have all served me well, my FL8, the 1st one I owned, lasted forever and I still have it.

MarCum, well what can one say, thier super fine line is tough to beat and the service from Jon Marshall is also very good.

Humminbird, great unit. The Bird's do play very well together and it seems like they recieve less interference.

If I was going to buy a new flasher tomorrow, It would be very hard to overlook a new MarCum. Very hard, these new MarCum units have it all. If anything were to go bad, a person can be assured that Jon at MarCum will make sure you are treated fairly.

The only issue I've had with two FL8SLT's, FL8, FL18, FL20, and FL22 is a defective tri beat ducer on the 22. Recently sold the two SLT's so starting to thin out the heard.

The orignal FL8 is over 15 years old and works like new...

I've had an LX-5 since they first came out and haven't had one problem. Had an FL-8 before that which worked great too. Did have to repalce a transducer on it at one point. Dad's got a used LX-3 that works great and had an FL-8 too, both worked great. Once we got the Marcums, the Vex's became the backups.

If I was looking to get a backup unit, I'd probably get a Marcum troller. Stuff it in the tackle bag and pull it out if something happened to the primary flasher. it could also double as a locator in the BWCA. If i wanted a second unit to have for others, I'd go with a used/new LX-3. You can get pretty good deals on them and they work great. I'd have a tough time going back to a flasher for long periods that doesn't have zoom.

Chevy or Ford?

This is all a matter of personal preference and what people's experience is. I bought the LX 5 when it was the new kid on the block. I love it for what it can do. I still have my FL-8 and use it as well. Both have served me well and never had problems the time I have owned them.

I like Marcum and if buying another one would go to the LX-7,8,9 (what number is it now? I know Vexilar is up to 22!!!! Can't say anything about the Bird or the Troller, no need for them at this point.

Peace Out