• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fried Mooneye (Yes, it's Good)

Hey,

Last week my Wife caught a Mooneye on the St. Croiz River, she never saw it before and I was going to throw it back.

She said, no, keep it, so I did.

She gutted it out, de-scaled it, put many knife slices, about 1/8" apart, in each side.

Then she sprinkled kosher salt & some pepper on both sides & inside and it sat in the frig until the next day.

Then she fried it in extra virgin olive oil and ate it, head & all.

She loved it, I tried it, and we both said it tasted like Crappie.

So, there you go... a recipe for Mooneye!

I've heard the same about Sheephead. Haven't brought myself to try it yet. Lord knows I catch enough of 'em

Last summer I tried smoking 3 16-17" sheepies. Cherry wood, brown sugar in the cavity and a bit lighter smoke. I thought it was just as good as any store bought white fish. My bro in law though, he ate all of them before anyone else had more than a taste lol.

I've heard the same about Sheephead. Haven't brought myself to try it yet. Lord knows I catch enough of 'em

I'm with ya. Never have kept them, but I keep hearing how great the flavor is, the texture is, etc. Even read an article by a walleye guide who prefers drum to walleyes. I guess I'll have to be brave next time wink

Use Red fish Magic seasoning on those sheepies. Blacken them... they are just fresh water cousins to redfish which is a highly sought after gamefish in saltwater. Blackened sheepies rock! They go faster than any other fish I put out on the table. done it a half dozen times and have been told better than walleye, better than crappie!

Just remove the lateral line. I actually cut that away and the belly meat. The rest is good firm white meat. MMM MMM

Good Luck!

Ken