• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Perch advice

Pinusbanksiana

I was fishing this small private lake and the perch were just nuts in it. The lake is shallow and only about 8 feet deep and clear as day so I could sit in my shelter and see all the fish around my line. Two lines would have been impossible to work.

Anyway, most of the perch were small but every once in a while a big one, 13 or so would swim in and if I could get it right, I could catch it. But fighting off all the little ones was a challenge. Are there any tips on doing this? There were so many perch in there that I could see at least 5 or 6 at any given time.

We see that exact same scenario here in Iowa sometimes. Isnt it fun? Couple things to try: Fish really high, like 3 feet below the ice. The big perch will see the little guys up chasing your bait and more will come in. Then you can drop down to the big ones. Sometimes the biggest ones will be the only ones that have the guts to come that high. I switched to 5mm Fiskas, which is upsizing like the other guys said. It also means you can control your jig really well. Its so heavy that it drops really fast. Good luck