• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Events tips for new people

Whos getting so excited to help kids get out and get them fish..

How do handle all of the stress that comes with the events?

What kind of tips can you give to people that are just joining and helping out at these events?

How i handle the stress is when i see a kid that is so happy and having fun nothing else matters and i really in joy helping out...

One of my tip is just stop and think before speaking or acting ...I know these event are stressful but if you look on the good side of things the stress dosent even matter..hope everyone will have fun helping out..

I know everyone that helps i'm really greatful for the help ...and everyone that starts these events thanks so much.

One of the things I instruct my prostaff and volunteers to do at our events is look for parents that are interested. If I see a parent trying to jump in or showing signs interest of participating, we engage that parent.

we'll show the parent a jigging technique or explain how the certain piece of equipment works, then step away for and watch from a distance how they are doing; checking in on them from time to time to see how they are doing.

This frees up some time to help more families or assist in event operations.

Often times, the parent will pick up the ball and will share in their child's joy of catching fish, while finding value in the event. Heck, they may even go out a few times after the event.

I think parents that bring their kids to fishing events are inherently interested in getting involved in the outdoors but don't know where to begin, and this hands on approach gives them the opportunity to learn and become more engaged in the event.

i agree engaging the parents at an event is key! Out of all the years of doing these events the one thing i learned is if the parents and kids are there then they do care ! And thats worth its weight in gold any day!

Another thing I find helpful is we have older kids work with the younger ones. We have a good group of late teenagers that come to our events, or older children of our volunteers.

Often times, kids get bored or lose interest quickly. Having the older kids around helps a lot because they redirect the younger kids into activities or will play with the young ones while the parents are participating in the event.

it's a win: win because the older kids love the younger kids, and the younger kids love the attention while our volunteers are working with the people that are focused on the event with no worries or distractions.

Plus the kids make great clean up help :P

The one thing i will say is try to engage the parents who dont seem interested because they are the ones who seek the most information if they are at the event they made the leap forward now its up to us as mentors to engage them and get them interested as best as we can ! Remember if they are there at the event they have shown interest! Now its up to us as mentors to keep them interested! i have been doing this for a number of years and one of the things ive noticed is that if the parents who dont seem interested are more then likely looking for more One on One time because they are the ones skeptical about even being there in the first place and by engageing them on a one on one usually proves to be benefical! We have numorous families who litterally follow our events city to city or even state to state and the majority of them were the parents who were skeptical about the event in the first place.

but they got whatever it was they were seeking and now they feel good about doing it and want to learn more. this proves with our Ice fishing events, summer fishing , our camping events, Our hunting camps, etc..

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.