• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hard starter....

mnfathead

I recently bought an 89 exciter that was completely gone through and redone. The first time i start it for the day is bugger, I havta pull tell i'm about spent, it belches gas from the exhaust when it finally does start, which it always does, from that point on during the day it starts first pull every time, idles nice, runs smooth, rides nice, any ideas would be great as i am farely new to sledding. Thanks

I think I have had about 12 sleds and everyone one of them had their own little way of starting. Sometimes it's just learning what it wants. How long are you keeping the choke on? The last Yama I had I would put the chock on, and as soon as it would fire once I would take it off and pull it again. I had another sled that would do the same thing but I would have to choke, fire, turn choke off, pull choke again, fire, then choke off. Keep playing with different things each time to see what works best. It sounds like you are flooding it out with maybe just a little to much choke. wink

Sounds like its flooding. Check the needle and seat as stated above. If it has a shut off on the fuel line try turning it off when not in use. If the case is filling with fuel from a leaky seat you can bend a rod if you try and start it and it fires with the crank case full of gas

Its flooded! If no gas shut off is installed I would recommend putting one on. Gas is running into the carbs just sitting so make sure to drain the lower crank of excess gas, new plugs and try again. Not sure on where or if the exciters have drain plugs if they do it should be a 10mm bolt.

Good luck,

MR