• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Opinions On Hub Style Houses

LEECH21

Looking at getting one of these products from Clam. I think the thermal version would be a little warmer, so I'm leaning towards that. I currently have the 1 person fishtrap style, but my son is starting to ice fish and wants to tag along so I'm looking for something a little bigger. I figured these might be worth a shot. Anyone have any opinions on this style? Thanks in advance.

I do like mine but I think I will save some coins to buy a flip too i like how well the hub packs down so I dont have to have a trailer or truck if i dont want to

windows yes in my cabelas model I have to stretch my neck to look out kinda sucks I may make a special tall bucket in the near future just for that fact

After having permanents and a suit case style I switched to a hub. I wanted the lightweight as the suitcase is rather heavy when by myself. i went with the eskimo 8X8 as it is light (14 lbs if I remember correctly) but has plenty of room. It has tons of windows which are openable and low so you can see your tip up without getting up. easy set-up, but the manufacturer could give you a little larger bag to put it in when taken down as it seems like a struggle to get it back in espicially in the cold and dark. with my 6 year old wanting to go it has plenty of room for us and gear. Clam fold up small round table is great for him to put his lunch on. sometimes in the severe cold it can sweat on the walls but that only happens when it is really cold. Mr. Heater sunflower keeps it plenty warm. just have to remember when setting up to anchor immediately especially if there is any wind as there are so light they will blow away. Insulated ones seem nice but I did not want to have the extra weight or expense. last weekend I had to portage into a private lake with the 5 yr old and all our stuff and that really convinced me I made the right choice as I could have never made it in with anything else as this lake was not accesable by anything other than by foot. Lots of plus's not many downsides. Sorry this post was so long.

I have the Quickfish 3 by Eskimo. I love this shelter, never had any issues with it other then the storage bag is too small but it is perfect for me and my kid when we are out. The only thing I would change is getting a little bigger heater for it as its not insulated. I have the buddy heater and would definitely recommend the Big Buddy Heater instead.

One tip for you is to make sure you stake at least one corner down before popping this up on a breezy day or you will be like me the first time I set this up on a breezy day.... Picute a three hundred pound man chasing his shelter across a bay... LOL! That was me, lesson learned!

Do you guys recommend a different brand of anchors? I watched the video on the Clam HSOforum and saw the ones that come with are a screw in style. I really don't want to lug around my cordless drill on the ice.

+ 1 on Eskimo hub style houses. There is no need to carry a drill with, the anchors work great and are not hard to put in. friend bought clam and after two Weeks he returned to get a Eskimo quick fish 3. He had a pole snap in one week, the door zipper was a issue and the eyelets for the anchors were ripping. I have had my Eskimo for 6 yrs and the only issue I have had is cracked windows which I replaced for 25$ for 4.

I have a 6 by 8 ft clam hub. Got it on sale before last winter and have had no bad experiences. I do use the regular screw in anchors that came with it (clam). I spose a drill would make it easier to anchor down, but I have just screwed them in by hand every time. I also like how you can either anchor from the inside, or with the tie downs (higher winds) on the outside. I'm sure there are better options for anchors, but the clam ones have worked just fine. Also, my clam is not insulated and I use the smaller buddy heater - It gets plenty warm inside. Clam has been awesome for me.

Do you guys recommend a different brand of anchors?

Yes. Think they make nice houses at a great value, but wish they would upgrade their screws. I have the attachment and it works fine, but forgot my drill one trip, ended up buying some eskimos on the way, and have never used the originals since wink

Do you guys recommend a different brand of anchors? I watched the video on the Clam HSOforum and saw the ones that come with are a screw in style. I really don't want to lug around my cordless drill on the ice.

the other option for anchors is the Digger Ice Angels. the only bad part with these is they use a half drilled hole so you would want to finish drilling out the hole all the way when done so no one twists or breaks a ankle in the half drilled hole.

QF3 for a few years and love it. Any of the anchors will work better with a pre drilled hole, eskimo anchors are the best screw in type.

Don't let the "bags too small" comments scare ya. It takes me seconds to get the house into the origional bag.

I carry all my stuff in an otter sled. Wouldn't switch to a flip over...ever, or at least not until they make one a 6'6" guy can stand up in. I can stand straight up in my QF3, or put up a cot, or lay back in a zero gravity chair...and still have plenty of room.

i have a base camp and love it, but i wouldnt mind more space if the big foot would have been available i probably would have gotten one of those but for now mine works just fine and as far as the bag mine is way bigger than it needs to be i can get the house in there in less than 20 sec

I just got clam's bigfoot xl2000 last week from my wife for xmas. I had my heart set on the eskimo fatfish 949i. We went shopping for it down in Brainerd and Mills FF was out of stock so we ended up stopping by Reeds on the way home and they had the Fatfish and Bigfoot set up side by side. Upon closer inspection I opted for the clam. The poles were bigger, the hub itself looked beefier, and the clam bag was bigger and sturdier than the fatfish. The noninsulated clam was also $80 cheaper than the insulated fatfish. The clam's fabric is 600 denier, compared to the 300 denier on eskimos non insulated models. I was initially scared of the clam products because of some the poor reveiws I've seen of their hubs last year. It appears they have improved greatly with these bigfoot models.

Alot of thought went into opting for a hub style shelter for me. The main reason is that I already made the investment on an otter sled and all the extras that you have to buy to pull one around. For my medium pro I have close to $250 into it. I could not see buying a flipover at $500 plus and having the xrta sled going to waste. I have two different frabil suitcase style shelters that are way past their prime and I really needed an upgrade. I also fish red the majority of the time so I fish out of my truck from the second week in December right thru the end of March, so having a flip over to load and unload doesnt make much sense. The only time I actually need my sled is early and late in the season.

I fished three days so far with the clam am it is easy to set up and I used a sunflower heater in it ti keep it warm. It was like -17 below on new years day and I was fine in there with just my hoody on. So for me right now it was a wise choice. Two years ago ,though I would have invested in a nice flip over as I have that much now invested in the sled and hub.