• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Choosing a versatile dog breed...

jk_minn

I contacted a breeder in September. I should have a pup this spring. I'm interested in a tighter coat so it may take a little while longer. The NAPPA HSOforum has a list of breeders. They all have the same standards. I chose Cedarwoods due to all the good things I've heard about Bob Farris.

I also considered a Berg Bros Setter and really like a lot of the GSP's

My PP came out of Cedarwoods. You'll really like the breed. Great dogs that are truly versatile. Mine is a great house dog, super around kids and other dogs. Hunting with her has been a pleasure. Lack of shedding is a bonus. Not a easy breed to obtain so it's good to check things out well before the date you are ready to get your dog for availability. Needless to say, any dog takes a lot of work and training. It's part of the fun and part of the deal. Mine gets out for a run and training exercises every day. Helps keep me healthy to!

I lucked out and was the first on the list at the breeder I went through, but I also told him I wanted a dog about 12 months before the breeding was planned. It didn't take long for him to fill up and have people on a waiting list. If you have decided on the breed start calling breeders and see when there are litters planned. Go to some NAVHDA events and get some idea on what you want for traits in the dog and get back to the breeders with that info. I wanted a shorter coat, not the wooly coat that some PP's have so that was one trait I asked for.

As far length of wait that will depend on the breeder. The breeder I went through only does a couple litters per year. But if you decide on Cedarwoods they have enough dogs that the wait probably isn't too long.

I met Bob Farris of Cedarwoods at a couple NAVHDA events in MN last summer. Nice guy.

On my second pudelpointer. History has it that the breed started in Germany back in 1881.One site also listed France. When 90-pointers were breed into 7-pudels (German for poodle). The pointers were alledged to be English pointers. And the breed has been breed to the high standards we see today. Cedar Wood Kennels (ID.) and Rock Creek Kennels (Mn.) has some info on the breed.

You're thinking of golden-doodle. Golden retrievers don't point.

P.s.-I love posts like this. I'm very happy with my dog, but it always seems like I'm brainstorming/planning for my next dog. Great input everyone!

Alright. Lets hear it. I want to know about any cons or dislikes people have noticed first hand with pudelpointers.

Things I am already aware of:

Coat inconsistancies (I think a good breeder will help that)

Expense (expected)

Wait time (expected)

Please don't post if you want to come pair to other breeds or if you have not hunting or have had in person contact with them. Thanks!

Alright. Lets hear it. I want to know about any cons or dislikes people have noticed first hand with pudelpointers.

Things I am already aware of:

Coat inconsistancies (I think a good breeder will help that)

Expense (expected)

Wait time (expected)

Please don't post if you want to come pair to other breeds or if you have not hunting or have had in person contact with them. Thanks!

You will have a tough time finding cons or dislikes with a PP. I recently decided to buy one and will be picking up my pup in a little over two weeks.

In all honestly I really hope your not basing your decision just from the info from this thread. I wouldn't eliminate any other breed based just off the information here.

Go to some local navhda chapter, participate or tag along in some of their club training sessions. Go to the AKC HSOforum and look for Hunt Tests and Field Trials in your area. I guarantee you, no one will turn you down if you ask to tag along with them in the field to see their dogs work.

Start networking from there, talk to breeders and do your homework and watch these dogs first hand instead of going off some info on an outdoor forum.

And I by no means am I questioning the credibility of what some of the posters said but beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and what you want in a dog is ultimately going to be up to you.

In all honestly I really hope your not basing your decision just from the info from this thread. I wouldn't eliminate any other breed based just off the information here.

Go to some local navhda chapter, participate or tag along in some of their club training sessions. Go to the AKC HSOforum and look for Hunt Tests and Field Trials in your area. I guarantee you, no one will turn you down if you ask to tag along with them in the field to see their dogs work.

Start networking from there, talk to breeders and do your homework and watch these dogs first hand instead of going off some info on an outdoor forum.

And I by no means am I questioning the credibility of what some of the posters said but beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and what you want in a dog is ultimately going to be up to you.

This is just a secondary source for a basis on my decision. I have been looking at the NAVHDA for PP NA and UT test results, researching breeders and breed lines, and I have already talked to and visited breeders. As mentioned in the first post of this thread I plan on attending NAVHDA events.

I constantly have my lab and GSP buddies telling me to not get one. My friends have not done the research or witnessed PP first hand. By asking for negatives of owners I am trying to reinforce my decision.

This is just a secondary source for a basis on my decision. I have been looking at the NAVHDA for PP NA and UT test results, researching breeders and breed lines, and I have already talked to and visited breeders. As mentioned in the first post of this thread I plan on attending NAVHDA events.

I constantly have my lab and GSP buddies telling me to not get one. My friends have not done the research or witnessed PP first hand. By asking for negatives of owners I am trying to reinforce my decision.

Good to hear, looks like your getting one step closer to finding your new hunting partner.

Good luck with the rest of your search, its all part of the fun.

I had retrievers for 30 years and loved them and still do. That said, decided on a PP last year and she's great. Coat is consistent, little to no noticeable shedding and equally well mannered in the field and house. Their coat varys from smooth to a bit longer. Color can vary some with some white usually found on the chest and paws. Google the breed and you can see the difference in color shades and coats.

My sister also has a PP. Different breeding. Both dogs have been eager to please and learn quickly. Excellent around children. Like any dog, daily work needs to be done. I run mine daily and work on skills daily. Mine did very well with both upland and waterfowl. Loves the water.

Vet concerns? No different than any other dog i've owned. No problems. Just the routine stuff. My PP needs to get out every day to exercise or she will get a little hyped but mostly a very relaxed dog.

Honestly, i had planned to get another lab when my last one passed but this PP fell into my lap and i certainly have no regrets.

Good luck.

The one con I have with my dog is his independence. Having said that I'm sure this is just the way he is, not representative of the breed. I have to keep him engaged, when training, or he checks out and starts doing what he wants. I've see labs like this too. But when he's engaged it's something awesome to behold, he's all in. I will agree with Island Guy, if he doesn't get some exercise every day(can be mental exercise too) he gets hyper. So the only cons I have aren't any different than any other high drive dog. His personality totally makes up for any frustration I have with him when he's being difficult. He's still young too so that has something to do with it as well.

Just be careful, I've never seen a dog with better "poor puppy" face, and he knows when to use it grin