• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone shoot a Shaffer Opposition Rest?

archerystud

I'm getting ready to order a new hunting bow (Mathews Creed) and I'm debating on my rest options.

Looking for an opinion on them. I watched the video and the rest seemed to make a little noise on the open portion which concerned me. Since this bow will only be a hunting bow I would like it to be as quite as possible.

I like my Muzzy fall away except for it's lack of micro adjustments.

I've got a buddy who shoots one and he's been happy with it. I'm not in love with some of the design features and have concerns about it in cold weather. My buddy's squeeked a bit in cold weather.

Have you tried a QAD Ultrarest? I switched to on this past season and LOVED it.

I have shot this rest on both my bows for the past two seasons without issue. This year was my best year to date with a bow harvesting a good buck, a doe, and a P&Y moose. (thats not really saying anything about the rest but why change what works for me) Really like how it holds the arrow in place, easy to maintain "straight shooting" etc. Prior to this rest, I tried the quad and several others but had trouble with consistantcy with "straight arrows". Works good for me!

I don't personally have the Opposition rest, but have shot one numerous times. They are very nice, pricey but worth it IMO. Very smooth, and I like how you can lock it down while you have an arrow nocked. I will most likely be upgrading to one next year.

I shot one this year and overall I liked it. I love the fact that it holds the arrow. I didn't like it in extreme cold or ice. I never shot during those conditions but when letting it down it squeaked and stuck closed once. With that said when I buy my new bow I will be getting the Ultra rest

I used one this entire fall. Shot an elk and four deer with it. worked flawlessly till December. then I had one day where after a short freezing rain my rest wouldn't open back up (held the arrow in the locked position) and a second time while hunting in the snow the spring got caked with snow and wouldnt close or open properly. My personal opinion is the design is poor and many things could get stuck within the spring area that prevent the rest from working properly. I went back to a trophy taker. nice and simple. not much can go wrong with that rest. just my 2 cents!

Iworked flawlessly till December. then I had one day where after a short freezing rain my rest wouldn't open back up (held the arrow in the locked position) and a second time while hunting in the snow the spring got caked with snow and wouldnt close or open properly.

Yep, that's exactly what I was referring to. I've heard of others having similar problems.

Thanks for the input guys.

While I haven't done much late season bowhunting in a while, I plan on this being my last year of coaching youth hockey. Late season when a front moves in can be awesome.

At this point I will look into other options.