• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Garbage on the ice

AstroRails

Had a great trip out to Spring Lake by prior lake with my nephew (his first ice trip ever) today

We were trying to be responsible and bring our garbage back with us to shore. Unfortunately when we got there, there wasn't a dumpster or garbage can anywhere?

Why wouldn't the DNR leave a place at the landings for people to toss their trash? We packed it in the car, but how many people leave it on the ice because there is not a place to dispose of it?

Had a great trip out to Spring Lake by prior lake with my nephew (his first ice trip ever) today

We were trying to be responsible and bring our garbage back with us to shore. Unfortunately when we got there, there wasn't a dumpster or garbage can anywhere?

Why wouldn't the DNR leave a place at the landings for people to toss their trash? We packed it in the car, but how many people leave it on the ice because there is not a place to dispose of it?

What's the big deal? You brought it with you from home, bring it back home when you're done. Why should we have to use our tax/license fees to have garbage service at the landing?

We did pack it back out, but in the process of keeping the ice cleaned, we ended up with some trash that I would rather have seen go in a receptacle there than in my car.

Plus perhaps more people would pack their trash off the ice if there was a place at the landing to put it. All those cans, butts, and other effluent go somewhere when the ice melts, so this could be seen as a water quality issue to. Seems like it would be a high bang for the buck proposition.

Thank-you for taking your trash, and I am sure other peoples trash, with you when you left. It would be nice to have trash cans when needed but the reality of it is this costs money and that is something that most governments (city and state) don't have enough of right now.

Feel good that at the end of the day at least you did the right thing.

Mike

If they put containers at the landings then people bring garbage from home and fill the containers!!! Free garbage service.

That's the correct answer!

I asked the DNR several years ago why there weren't garbage cans at accesses in the winter when some of them had cans there in the summer. They replied that people filling the cans with their home garbage and piling it around the cans when they were full was a much bigger and more expensive problem in the winter than it was in the summer. People dumping their home garbage also interferes with snow removal.

Yea it's really sad when you have a few beers and you can't bring the cans back to shore with u. That's what i find on the ice all the time. Please pick up your garbage.

The other thing I noticed last winter was a lot of those small disposeable propane canisters. I REALLY wish someone would come up with a small refillable canister or put a deposit on them so there aren't so many left laying around. I always seem to be picking up after these other slobs who can't pick up after themselves. It's at the top of the list of my pet peeves.

On Lake Onalaska, the city maintains garbage cans in the popular fishing and boat landing spots. People still manage to leave their trash in the ditches and shoreline; and in some cases, just about 40 feet from the dumpster.

You can't fix ignorance.

Was out on Fish in Eagan last week, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday evenings. Thursday the ice was clean where we fished (someone elses holes), we then fished that same spot Friday and Saturday. Friday we found food, cigarettes, and dead fish on the ice, Saturday it was clean again. If you don't want the small ones, throw them back. Left the fish and food scraps for the birds and wildlife, not sure what happened to the cigarette butts, didn't see them when we left.

If a person can bring it on the ice, they should have no problems taking it back off. Obviously they brought it there some how, they can take it back the same way. People just need to quit being lazy.

A story from a couple years ago...

I was ice fishing Little Elk by Zimmerman. It must have been December, because I walked out. On the ice I found a broken old heater (the kind that goes on top of a propane tank). I didn't have any room in my sled to haul it off. I just have a small sled and quite a bit of equipment. I left it there thinking someone else would pick it up and toss it. This was right in the middle of where all the houses set up. Fast forward to the next summer, I was out there in the boat, and pulled up that old, broken, and now rusty heater. Nobody picked it up off the ice. I redeemed myself for not taking it the first time and took it home and tossed it in the garbage.

Normally I have a bag along for trash. On this last outing, the bag we had along still had snacks in it as we didn't eat them. I am usually good about picking up garbage, mine or someone elses. I have also tried to instill this in my son and my nephew (as I am the one who usually takes him fishing) and any other youngster I introduce to fishing. I admit that I will leave dead minnows on the ice as I know that a bird or animal will eat them but trash goes home and if I catch a fish that is a little on the small side and it doesn't make it, I usually find a trash can or if I am already gonna be cleaning fish, clean it too.