• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sunflower Style Heaters

Question

I'm tired of fixing and replacing my Sunflower-Style portable heater that screws into my 11lb. tank. They aren't cheap.

If I don't remove it from the tank for transport (either on the lake or to/from the lake it breaks apart.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Any suggestions for work-around?

Thanks!

------------------
Chells

11 answers to this question

I think I know what you are talking about. Those sunflower heaters are real tippy when you transport them and once they fall the fittings on the heater get all banged up and come loose. Plus that thin gas line gets bent. I solved most of this problem by buying a mr. heater/cooker. I then connected it to my main tank (a 20lb one) with a 8 foot hose. That way it is more stable, it takes up less room in my icehouse when I am fishing becuase I can keep the tank outside....and it seems to protect the sunflower part of the heater more.

Good luck...>Swill

With the new propane tanks you can get a fitting that will screw into the Mr. Heater regulator that is basically a plastic quick disconnect. You don't need a wrench to take the heater off the tank. This way when you get ready to transport you just unscrew the heater and put the tank away.

If you take your empty 20lb tank (with or without the new OPD)to Menards, they will give you a new FILLED 20lb propane tank with the new OP valve on it.

I have the Mr. Heater on the stand and the hose I bought has the quick thread nut that you do not need a wrench for. Works great.

I'm tired of fixing and replacing my Sunflower-Style portable heater that screws into my 11lb. tank. They aren't cheap.

If I don't remove it from the tank for transport (either on the lake or to/from the lake it breaks apart.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Any suggestions for work-around?

Thanks!

------------------
Chells

Swill, I believe that "thin gas line" isn't a gas line. It's the thermocouple line. If the heater goes out, the thermocouple shuts the gas valve off.

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited 01-30-2003).]

Thanks for the replies everyone.

It sounds like the Mr. Heater with either the quick disconnect and/or the length of hose is the way to go.

I stopped in to Gander (Tonka) on my way home last night--the entire store is on SALE--the only problem is that the shelves are getting picked clean.

I know Northern sells Mr. Heaters so I'll swing in there.

Looks like a nice weather weekend!

Good luck to all--the 'Eye season end draws near!

------------------
Chells