• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Iron Silk

Lip RIPPER!

Question

2 answers to this question

Yep. I give it a B- overall. I like it generally speaking, but it gets a little too coily for me when it gets cold. In the house it's been acceptable, but outside it's gotten a little too coiled up for my tastes. I like the line though. I spooled some up this fall and have kept it on since- which I don't do too often so I must like it!
I put 12 lb. line on too so that may be part of the reason why it's gotten coily on me- I typically am using line in the 6-8 lb range so I'm comparing apples to oranges a little bit.
Scoot

[This message has been edited by Scoot (edited 01-29-2003).]

I would not recommend using Iron Silk for ice fishing. I am currently cleaning and respooling my bass reels and I love this line for baitcasters. However, I tried to spool 14# on my Team Daiwa S 3500CU spinning reel as a replacement for the 14# Sensation I had on, and ALL of the IronSilk jumped off the spool the second I opened the bail. I untangled the mess and saved about 80 feet which I hand stretched and put back on leaving about 1/4 inch of spool lip exposed. I still had problems with it jumping off the spool but after repeatedly hand stretching the line and making numerous casts it became a manageable spool of line. I think the abrasion resistance is great and IronSilk makes great knots, but I think this line needs to have the memory stretched out by hand or by trolling before you can use it. I did an abrasion test (not very scientific) and I found the 14# IronSilk to be 40% tougher than 14# Sensation. However, 14# Sensation was found to be much tougher than 12# IronSilk so I may stick with Sensation on my spinning reels and use IronSilk on my baitcasters.