• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

yellow bass through the ice.

Yeah, that is pretty much on my bucket list now. Ironically those lakes could end up with better ice quicker than what I have around me after the snowaggedon. Am sure there are other good outfitters out there, but the name Kevan Paul keeps coming up. Would be good to hear an unbiased report as to if their numbers are still as strong as a couple of years ago.....

I couldnt tell you about Clear lake. The Spirit lake area fish got some virus and many of them died. I dont think anyone really knows yet what the population is like. Nobody cares either, as long as theres less of them. Yellow bass are one of the species with no limit on them from public water. If you go to the Spirit Lake area, get a map and fish Minnewashta. Its easy to fish, a small lake with a basin area thats deeper than the rest of it. That is yellow bass central. Minnewashta is connected to the okoboji's and the gar's. Small jig, couple of maggots, fish them like you do blugills. Good Luck

If you guys are looking to catch some Yellows follow my clear lake report. You will not be miss lead. We caught thousands of Yellows this fall and i would expect great yellow fishing. Our crappies are on a great comeback also. We are having a Yellow Bass tournament in feb. Feel free to come down. You are always welcome to call the clear lake hatchery if have any questions . They can tell you everything you want to know about the lake. Just trying to help not steal the post. Have a happy holidays.

If you guys are looking to catch some Yellows follow my clear lake report. You will not be miss lead. We caught thousands of Yellows this fall and i would expect great yellow fishing. Our crappies are on a great comeback also. We are having a Yellow Bass tournament in feb. Feel free to come down. You are always welcome to call the clear lake hatchery if have any questions . They can tell you everything you want to know about the lake. Just trying to help not steal the post. Have a happy holidays.

That's awesome! Will do. Thanks.

Not many in Spirit yet that I know of at least I havent caught one but West last year we caught alot of yellows... I'd be more than happy to show you the yellows on 1 condition you have to take all we catch...
Sure. I will be glad to take on your request. And I will hold you to that.

Kevin,

I'm from Iowa and have family not too far from the Clear Lake area. I fished for yellows on Clear on Christmas eve and did indeed get into some, unfortunately the were all around 6-7". Thats all the bigger I saw other people getting too (the crappies were another story). What size of yellows are you getting? Is a 7" fish a keeper? We did keep some because they were fairly thick in the back.

Ben

Most people like the larger ones but I like the 8-9 inchers. Like you said they are thick in the back and they do offer a good piece of meat. Yellows are adults at 7-8" long and are big when they hit 10 and are huge at 11 plus. State record is around 13 or 14 inches. How big were the crappies. If people can throw back the 9's and 10's we will have a killer crappie lake next year.

The crappies were nice at 10-11” with both whites and blacks. They seemed to be mixed in with the yellows when schools moved through. The fishing was pretty good considering neither one of us had ever fished clear lake. Those little yellows do indeed make for a fine fish fry.

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed them. Most people would not consider them eatible. You will have to come fish are yellow bass tournament. It's going to be a lot of fun.

Don't they just taste like white bass?

Yellow taste quite a bit better than their cousin the white bass, IMO.

I agree with the poster who compared yellow bass to bluegill. I'll happily keep yellows to eat, but I only keep white bass if I have not had fresh fish for quite a while. If do keep white bass, I only keep 10" or 12" white bass, not the bigger ones, and I still trim the red meat out of the filets. There are no such issues with yellow bass.