• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Clam Thermal Nanook vs. Frabill Thermal Trecker Deluxe

Bobberboy

I'm going to pull the trigger on one of these 2 shelters. Would sure like some feedback on the pro's and con's for both shacks.

I did read something about clips on the poles being an issue on the Clam so info on that would be great as well.

dont know that much about the Nanook but have the Trekker and it is nice. Dont think there are any big differences, just the small stuff like the clips you mentioned. Trekker doesn't have many small pieces so less to worry about. Warm,lots of fishing area and the seats are wayyyyyy better. Blocks out light better too.

Might be similar to a ford/chevy debate. I do not have either, but have looked at both. I have a clam thermal x which is basically a larger nanook and love it. Mine does not have the pole release clips and i also have heard of them breaking in the cold. I would bet if you didn't beat on the clips they would hold up????

Matt

Sorry to jump on this post but I am also looking at these 2 houses along with the eskimo flipmo 3 or 2 but i'm curious about the new folding chair system? Good/bad??? Thanks

I previously had a Eskimo 2 man quickflip and it was good. I also am looking at the Frabill. But eskimo not having full thermal has made my decision there. And for not much more too.

The new Eskimo chair remains to be seen for me. Haven't seen it yet. But Frabill's is removable, albeit the seat frame is bulkier.

4253The Nanook Thermal I also looked at. But to me the thermal isn't as thick or nice as the Frabill, which I believe has the nicest thermal out there with the exception of Canvas Craft

I've used a Quick flip 3 for the last 7 seasons and have never had any issues with it. It has a bench seat that's held up to my big rear for years.

Looking at the Thermals for more warmth and also thying to reduce weight as the Eskimo is 110 dry and pulls hard in snow.

i have an older non thermal trekker, and i purchased the clam last year, I liked the seats better and the hook up for the seats. The poles seem a bit beefier on the clam. The frabil is a nice unit though and I think you'll be happy with either.

The frabil is nice because its black and heats up in the sun

I have the Nanook Thermal. There are a couple features that I really like about it.

1. It is light weight. I now use this house as my 1 man house and I can fit 2 people in it in a pinch. It is also nice for when one of my kids wants to come along because I am the one doing all the dragging.

2. I actually disconnect the seat brackets so I can take the seats in and out at will. Most of the time I only have one seat in it. If a kid comes along they get a bucket!

3. You can heat this very easily. The thermal canvas holds heat very well.

4. On economy trips this fits in the trunk of my Chevy Imapala with the seats removed. The trunk almost closes so a bungy holds it down. ( Yes I fished Lake of the Woods last year in an Impala)

I normally replace my houses every year. I am keeping my Voyager TCX and Nanook for this year since I like them so much.

Don't know anything about the Frabill, but the Nanook has a cheaper, lower profile sled than the Clam Voyager. I have the Clam Voyager TCX and love it!

This is my only complaint with the Nanook Thermal. But on the plus side, it does fold down low enough I can fit it in the trunk of my Malibu.

I have been in both but have not owned one. Clam vs Frabill really is a taste thing to me, as are most choices. Do you like the color, layout, where the peak of the house is when you stand up, etc. I bought a Canvas Craft last year and compared to all my buddies who have other brands, I am happy with mine. I would include them in your search of houses also (VERY WARM and good height. I dont know what you have in mind for price, but get the one you REALLY want as its a lot of money either way and I hope you have it for a long time.

Anyway, sorry for injecting another brand into the discussion, but I never heard of Canvas Craft until last year. When I did I tried them out and now thats what I use.

Thanks

Simple1