• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Auto shotgun recommendations

There is a recoil difference between inertia drives and gas operated. Shooting benelli's I feel like its more of a hard thud against my shoulder where as the gas operated have more of a crisp kick. Hard to explain but if you can shoot a couple, you might understand what Imean. No pros or cons one way or another, just a difference.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well after 30 years of shooting a Remington 1100, I had problems with it last year so I got a new gun. I went with a Winchester SX3. 1st time out it started jamming. I did not clean it when I got it so figures it was because of the packing grease they use. After a thorough cleaning it worked flawlessly for a while but then started to jam again. It was a gun that had to be cleaned alot to work. I was not used to that and did not like that.

Another thing with the SX3 is I was missing alot of ducks and pheasants last year. I never shot clays last year with it so this year I decided to go shoot some clays. I would hit like 4 clays out of a box of 25. I shot a couple hundred rounds of clays and just could not connect with that gun.

So I then started to research gun fit and tried to figure out why I could not hit anything with it. Drop at comb appeared to be the issue. I bought a Beneli M2 which had a little more drop at comb. 1st time out I shot 22 out of 25 clays with it. I am back to hitting ducks and pheasants again. I have yet to have a jam with it. Loooking foward to trying in sub zero temps to see what happens. But so far the Beneli has out performed the SX3 for me which I think is do to gun fit

I know of 3 SX3's, mine and 2 of my good buddies who havent had a single issue. I shot trap last year with it and have shot 2 deer and countless ducks and pheasants over the last 4 years with mine. Never once had an issue with anything. I clean mine once a year.

I bought an SX3 last fall for trap shooting and hunting. A few other guys in my trap club had them and liked them. I ran 1,200+ rounds through mine this summer trap/sporting clays cleaning it only after about 700 rounds and never had an issue. Ive ran one box of Federal shells through it and immedaitly cleaned it. DIRTY. It did take me about two boxes at the trap range to "find" where I was shooting once i first got it, but once I got comfortable with it I've just kept shooting. Its cycled low base 2-3/4 rounds on up to 3-1/2 in warm and cold conditions. I've never had a jam or misfeed, and I've fully cleaned it minimally. If you have an oppurtunity to shoot a few of the mentioned brands before you buy that helps a ton. I shot 3 different ones and parked on this and havent looked back. Good luck.

Do all the top level guns come with shim kits? I know the Benellis do and have heard they make a world of difference if the gun is not shooting well. Seems like a waste to trade off a gun when a shim can be installed in less than 5 minutes to change the fit of the gun.

Jamming complaints. Bet most of these are going to come down to two shell mfgs. Loved Federal shells but got sick of my gun being filty dirty. Black Clouds are better but still dirty. Hear lots of issues with Kent hulls not ejecting well.

Benelli guy so take it for what it's worth. Member of MN duck camp is working for Benelli. Goes to events where potetial customers can try out the guns. Says it's very noticable how well people shoot the Vinci. Got a quick demo of how they take down if field cleaning is needed. Slick. Most likely my next gun in the Super model to either replace or back up sbell.

Never had luck with the sx3... light primer strikes, and Failure to feeds in temps below freezing. Though i had bad luck on the gun traded it in for another and had same problems. Other than that it was not a bad gun for clays. Traded again for a a400 and have had a solid hard on for a solid year. lol

Checked out the Browning A-5 today pretty sweet!

I used to use an A-5 and loved that gun. I still use it some, but the day to day beatings go to my Beneli. I want the A-5 to stay nice looking since it passed from my Grandpa to my Dad, and will soon go to my son. It still looks and shoots great and has taken down a fair number of birds.

I shoot the browning silver

I love it, light and dependable.

I hate cleaning guns, I do them after season and usually hunt from sept thru march so lots of rounds.

My brother in law and his boy have the sx2 and sx3, they like theyres as well.

good luck with whatever you get

The new Browning A-5 is NOT the same critter as the original and much-loved J.M.Browning design. The old 'humpback" is one of the most natural pointing shotguns you'll ever shoot and the recoil is negligible to most people. Great old gun.

But now they have changed the recoil system somewhat, added new sissified recoil pads and of course provide screw in chokes. But it still has the nice lines (love it or hate it) of the old A-5 and I am sure it is lighter too. I note they guarantee if for 100,000 rounds!!

I really like the old A-5 even though it was not something I shot and never owned. It pointed well and was easy to shoot.

Maybe should check it out.

Yes I looked at the new version A-5 shaped similiar but definately alot lighter looks to be a excellent pheasant gun. Had the older model back in the day but traded it dumb move! Seriously thinking of getting the new A-5 will post my findings after I purchase her and use it on some late season roosters!

I dunno, I held the VersaMax and it just seemed cheap to me. It didn't have that solid feel and pullup as the Berettas and Benellis. Haven't shot it so I can't tell you from personal experience, but the guy at the Scheels in Minot (Steve) said it was one of the last autos he'd recommend. The other one he told me to stay away from was the 1187. Apparently Remington has alot of work to do on their auto shotties. They do make great rifles and great pump guns though!! I own a 700 and 2 870s and they've been absolutely tremendous.

I know it's hard to imagine now but those 870's will sit in the corner collecting dust once you get your hands on one the above mentioned guns. They are a functional weapon if that's what fits the budget but anyone that tells you they compare to upper end autos is making a pure justification statement.

I Have to agree with Bryce. Once you start shooting a good auto those 870's will sit. I will vouch for that have 2 wingmasters sitting in the gun cabinet that haven't seen action in a while.

Yep, as I mentioned above, I went from wingmaster to gas auto and will never go back to pump for my normal hunting, though I must confess I still grouse hunt with my Dad's 2 3/4 wingmaster now and then just for old times sake when going on a walk.

I was one who said I could get three good shots off same as auto - till I used and auto, and I can get more accurate shots now in succession no question. But I still am carppy shot, haha! wink

Well I got a chance to shoot an almost brand new A400 Unico today. Holy crud, incredible!!!! My buddy had a couple 3 1/2" BBBs that he let me light off. Unreal, very little recoil, way less than I was expecting. And man does that gun shoot & shoulder smooth. I think I mighta found a winner...

And ya, I can see that once this gun gets added, I doubt Ol' Faithful's gonna see much action. It's always good to have a backup or two though!

Well, after all the recommendations I finally picked up my new shotty. Figured I'm only young once and threw caution to the wind and picked up an A400 Extreme Unico in waterfowl camo. Got off early today and went to a friends ranch and shot some clays. First off, coming from a guy that has shot 870s his whole life, this thing is incredible. Pricey, but with every trigger pull you can tell why. I always though i could cycle as fast as i could aquire targets and my 870 was as fast as any auto in capable hands. WRONG. With the recoil reduction in this gun I can get on my next target waaay faster & can bust 4 clays in the time it would take to get 3 with the pump, as long as i do my part! Lol I started with 2 3/4 #8s. Perfect, felt like a .17hmr. Shot a couple #2 3". Now I'm really impressed. My buddy had a few boxes of 3 1/2" BBBs. Incredible. I LOVE this gun. It felt like shooting 3" #4s. It is a little weird getting used to not pumping, but I'll get used to it.

All I can say is if you're a pump guy like i was (and i stress was) trying to decide between a new high end auto or a pump, do yourself a favor as long as funds allow & go for the auto. You won't regret it, I promise.

We are a benelli household. I have a sbeII and love it. I also have a monti but am not a huge fan. I like the raised rib on the eagle. The wife shoots a 20 ultralight as well as 2 of the daughters. The boy has an old (my) m1 which still works flawlessly. I have dropped them in the slop, rinsed them off in a lake and run rounds through. With all of them i think i can count misfires with one hand. Shotguns, as with most things, you get exactaly what you pay for