• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I'm getting a new bolt action rifle and I'm debating on what caliber to get, somebody suggested a 308 , I've always heard good things about 308 and its very popular round. In looking over the ballistics both the 270 & 30-06 out perform the 308. Bullet price is similiar so is availability and selection. I can't see any benefit in a 308 over these other caliber except maybe less recoil? Am I missing something why get a 308, I'm looking for a good all around mn caliber (have 300 yd options and hunt in thick woods at times). My options in this gun are 270, 30-06, 308, and 7-08. I was planning on the 308 until I did my research but now I'm not so sure.

Thoughts?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would go with a 30-06 more bullet weights options. Carries more then enough power to 300 yards. I know with the 180 grain nosler partitions I shoot I am 1.8 inches high at 100 dead on at 200 yards and 8 inches low at 300 yards. So if I hold on the back of a deer at 300 yards my bullet will hit about dead center of the chest.

I have a savage 110 in .270 that is a sub-minute gun.

There is a good chance my next build will be either an ar or a custom bolt gun with a r700 action chambered in .308. I like the idea of using a NATO. round simply for the availability, however if you're planning in hunting with it, a 30-06 or.270 will serve your purposes quite well.

I agree 270 and 30-06 are good choices, I mean no disrespect but I don't get why anybody buy 308 over them? Is there significant less recoil, not that much in 270, 06 anyway. I wanted to get 308 as I have other guns in 270, 06 but I looked up 308, hard to buy over 270/30-06 I see no benefit to 308....recoil?

Thanks

I dug up the July '07 issue of F&S where Petzal talks about recoil. They have a little chart there. The 308 is listed at 18ft lbs of recoil. The 270 came in at 21 ft lbs, and the '06 was at 24 ft lbs. The '06 was also a half pound heavier. I would consider a one-third reduction in recoil to be significant. I know my 308 is comfortable for me to shoot at the range. Recoil affects people differently. I have become more sensitive to it as I have gotten older.

As far as ballistics goes, I just looked at a chart. The 308 is only about 100-200 fps. slower than the '06 with the same bullet. At 300yds the 308 is only about an inch lower than the '06. Your point of aim would be identical. I really don't think the animal on the receiving end would know the difference.

With todays better bullets a person does not need to use heavier bullets like people use to. The modern ones hold together and penetrate real well. You can use the same bullets for deer or moose and not have to adjust your scope.

In a 308 you can have a shorter action that will in turn make a lighter rifle. This makes a difference for some people and some situations.

To me it is more about shot placement than the extra power behind the bullet when it gets there. I do this by having a gun that I am comfortable shooting, reloading, and time at the range.

Use what you want and are happy with. I am content with my 308 and am dining on moose steaks this winter. If I was starting over again I would seriously consider a 7mm-08.

I'm not a fan of .308s for my own use because, if you look at raw ballistic data, they aren't very impressive. The reason the military uses them in med-long range sniping is twofold: widely available, standardized ammo and CONSISTENCY. There is a mess of rounds that are much flatter shooting, but with current optics with ballistic turrets, drop doesn't really matter. What matters more is factors that can't really be calculated, like wind drift or flight stability, which are 2 things the .308 handles very, very well. In my case, since I don't have the time or $ to shoot the thousands and thousands of rounds that snipers shoot, I need a round that is flatter shooting so I have a little more leeway with my dope.

I have both a 308 and a 7.62, very similar guns. Yes, fishahaulic is correct in the 308 is a very popular sniper rifle, for a reason.

If you want to reach out and touch something at say, 4-500+ yards many of todays modern rifles will do this with a good shooter behind the trigger. The advantage the 308 has is what fishahaulic talked aboot. Factors many hunters don't take into consideration like spin drift and multiple wind directions are huge at long range, and both the 308 and 7.62 seem to handle them better. Plus, my 308 is like an 870 in that you can drop it, roll it around in the mud, start it on fire, drive over it, smash it with a hammer, then pick it up and it shoots.

Added bonus, my 308 doesn't break my shoulder nearly as much as an 06 does. When I was 18 that didn't matter. Now that I'm pushing mid to late 40's it comes into play.

Not trying to talk anyone into or out of anything. If you're looking for a rifle, shoot a bunch of different ones and buy the one that suits you best.

I appreciate all info, I have a 270, 30-06 already and wanted something different in a cheaper gun model (getting savage axis) I can take on my 4 wheeler etc and not worry about beating it up. Just felt like was down grading into a 308 from my 270/30-06, but less recoil sounds nice and it isn't that much less energy I guess.

Stay away from an Axis in my opinion....

You can get the Model 110/111 for pretty reasonable(not a lot more than an Axis), and have a much better shooting gun.

I love my .308. In my eyes, a good shooting gun, is a good shooting gun. Just gotta get do "know em". smile

I can understand getting a "beater" rifle, what I don't understand is getting a 3rd/different caliber that is scant different than the ones you already have.

If recoil is a factor then I think I'd get a .270 beater if not, then the 06 (which, by the way, you can get a managed recoil load or two for).

Again, I don't really see the logic in getting a 3rd caliber of more or less the same performance as you already have, from a practical standpoint anyway.

Recoil isn't a factor my original thought was I hear a lot of good things about 308, I don't have one to compare my 270, 06 too. I was thinking about getting a 308 when I did some research on it and the only plus I found was it has less recoil. I don't have a problem with the recoil from my 06, so for me I dont see any benefit to getting a 308 vs another 06, or 270. I simply posted this topic because so many people use 308 and prefer it to the 30-06 and I didn't understand why, unless I was missing something and I was/am curious why someone would say 308 is a better round of the 3. With the exception of less recoil it under performs to the 270 and 30-06. I realize the whole chevy vs ford thing, everybody has a personal favorite, but with this you can look at the ballistics and its clear which is the better bullet performance wise, that includes spin drift the 06 has less spindrift because of the higher velocity/energy the bullet travels. The ballistic coefficients is he same because 308 and 30-06 shoot the same bullet.

im sorry i guess i should just said .308 is my favorite cartridge out there. I do favor over the .06's and the 270 just because i think it has less recoil and i just like the short action rifles. that being said i use ta own a .270 im not even sure what manufacturer, it was old, had a basic black synthetic stock, maybe it was a mossberg or savage it was 15 years ago idk but anyway my uncle gave it me for helping him do some landscape work for a weekend. That .270 for whatever reason kicked more then any 30-06 or .300 win, man it was a tank to0 heavy, but ill tell ya what had the nicest bolt, super lose, and it was just a greeeeeeat gun. i shot maybe a half a dozen deer with it over about a five year span untill someone robbed my apartment and stole it

after that i shot a B.A.R in 30-06 which was a great gun to but very very fussy on ammo. i also shot an .06 rem pump carbine that was great. so id say it what ever caliber u like best. but in the last 5 years i converted fully to .308. i just shoot better with it at the range and like the results its had on deer. i dont care what ballistics charts say for me the proof is in the pudding. but hey my dads shot more deer then anyone ive ever mey and he wouldent use anything but an .06 or 12 gauge slug

Jay,

Things is that performance wise you're splitting hairs. All the cartidges mentioned by you originally will kill anything you can hunt in the usa very effectively with the right bullet. It comes down to personal preference. I've killed deer with the .30-06, .308, 7mm-08, muzzle loader and archery. All deer went down quickly, All calibers mentioned will take game further than most hunters are able to shoot consistently.

I also enjoy hunting with different guns. So some years I may carry a different gun each outing and not feel under gunned.

Good Luck in making your choice.

I understand the calibers I mentioned will all do the job and are similiar. I was only curious what advantage 308 had or why somebody would buy gun in that caliber over 30-06 but it sounds like recoil big part of it. Mostly curious before I made my decision.

Thanks

Quote:
I was only curious what advantage 308 had or why somebody would buy gun in that caliber over 30-06 but it sounds like recoil big part of it.

For me, it wasnt anything other than I wanted to add another caliber/gun to my gun cabinet. Like Borch said, I find myself grabbing a different gun to bring in the woods to change things up.... If thats the right words. smile

Take a look at the new Ruger American before you buy. Has all the features of the more expensive Savages at a little more money than the Axis.. Looks a lot like the Axis, but a better gun, imop.. It's only 6 1/4 lbs. so recoil will be more pronounced in the larger cartridges.