• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

help with cracked Otter Skin window

Question

Had shakedown trip with Canvas Craft double-wide insulated canvas Otter Skin type portable this weekend---high winds and sub-zero temps. Everything went fine except for finding that the window had cracked when I inspected house the following morning, probably occurred during takedown or transit off the lake. Granted this is understandable given the conditions, but expect that similar conditions will be encountered on future trips. Would appreciate advice re: 1) how to repair or patch the crack, 2) how to avoid this problem, if possible, and 3) does anyone know of a better window material that would stand up better? I don't need good visibility out the window, just light when needed.

Thanks!

10 answers to this question

I had the same thing happen to my portable this weekend? Both plastic windows cracked in half, I am thinking about removing the windows and sewing the window covers/flaps over the holes and not having windows.

Years ago when I was in the auto service business we would have convertibles with bad back plastic windows due to vandalism or dirt baked into them from the sun and we would send them to A&t upholstry off 169 and bass lake road in the new hope area . They would sew in new windows for a fair price . I think that type of plastic ( for automotive use ) would be a little thicker and more plyable and withstand the cold better . Might be worth it to check into a shop like that .

Thanks for the ideas thus far. Yes, the plastic windows had cracked completely in half. The house has a one year warranty, but it's a real pain to have to take it down and transport it for repair, plus it doens't address the basic problem and will likely happen again. I'm going to check into the auto "glass" idea, but have an idea of my own, which is to sandwich the plastic house window between 2 sheets of clear acrylic such as used in windows. I plan to line the acrylic edges with soft plastic tubing so they can't cut the house canvas, then bolt the two acrylic sheets together with the house's plastic window in between them. This should serve to assure that the plastic window doesn't get bent during setup or takedown, plus should keep pressure off of it. The acrylic sheet is as clear as glass. I'll try to remember to keep people posted if this works.

This is a great site, and sharing ideas is one of its big positives!

I just cracked one of my sides last
week. As to the two peice system,
there may be considerable condensation
between the two panels??Not a problem
if you don't want to look out of the
window...
I'm going to try a one peice system
that I'll glue down to the fabric
with some "shoe goo". Will post
results later this weekend.

Rather than spend a lot of time and money, simply use McNett's Tenacious sealing and repair tape. I put this stuff on a rip on my Otter skin in 5 below zero and it has held up great. I bought this stuff in the camping section of Galyans for $3 for a 3 inch by 20 inch strip and it ws worth every penney. I am going to get some more and keep some on hand for emergency repairs. I think a strp applied to both sides of a cracked window would act like a hinge and you can see through your repair as the tapeis clear. Again as mentioned by others, I take care to fold my shelter so the windows lay flat and I have yet to crack a window. Murphy's Law will get me someday so I'll just repair with Tenacious tape and be back to fishing in a minute.

Whalermadness:

Looked far and wide for Tenacious tape, finally found it at R.E.I. Co-op on W County Rd B2 in Roseville, in with their tent supplies. I'll try it. Thanks for the tip.

ReidM, the only regret I have about Tenacious tape is that I only bought one roll. I have had problems with my soft side worm pouchs and the plastic tabs cracking. Hefty One Zip "Our Thickest Ever" freezer bags are cheap, easy to open, and have been worm proof for 2 weeks with a fresh bag of Berkley Power Worms. I need to get more tape to use as reinforcements on the Tackle Logic tabs.