• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Eagle Claw's inline ice reel! Are U into the fly ice reel craze yet?

fisherman-andy

Arent we in for a treat? No its not a trick! While trying to dig up info on multiplier fly reels all over the world I came upon this on youtube below link:

http://youtu.be/x7V__hAU9n0

Searching further found that one or some lucky few may have already gotten their hands on what is called: Eagle Claw's inline ice reel, made by Eagle Claw. Apparently its got a 2.6:1 ratio, and a button or some sort of trigger that allows the line to free spool/fall. Said price $30.

Now it looks no where the same build specs or material wise as 13 Fishings 6061 ice reel but from a budget mind looks pretty spiffy in the youtube video.

Your chances on getting one of these in your hands? Very slim at the moment. Now be advise these types of reels have been available for some time now, just not in the USA. The design of the Eagle Claw inline reel looks very similiar to the raft type fly/inline reels available overseas. Anyhow just picked up a Frabill 241. Makes me wanna return it now frown

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Called GM lakeville. They had not put them on the shelf yet. Has 6 in a box. Ran over to the store, guy in front of me grabbed 2. I grabbed 3. One left. Didn't quite feel right taking the last one. GM guy said, "Let me guess...hotspot outdoors?!" I said "yup"

These really look neat for $30. (Oh, they were marked $49.99 but scanned at $29)

grin

Yup, seen them at GM the other day too. Seemed nice but haven't played with the 6061's yet so it's hard to compare. Just looking at the $30 price for a reel seemed like a good value. I didn't buy one yet I want to see what else is out there.

Aside from the Black Betty, the in-line reels I've seen posted here so far seem to be heavy and have clunky drag systems. These seem more like the "latest gimmick" than an actual well thought out and designed piece of equipment. I'll stick with fly reels for now until the design and technology improve. I mean there are fly reels available with disk drags that will stop a steelhead, have 12" line refrieve, weigh under 6 oz, and cost $60. Ice fishing reel manufacturers should be able to do better than what they are currently offering.

I haven’t seen either of them in person, but just by the looks of it, I would not be surprised one bit if the 13 Fishing and Eagle Claw reels are the exact same thing with some different company badging. They sure do look similar and it is kind of ironic that there is a limited supply (or so we are told) of each.

It seems like you see more and more of this every year. These companies find an inexpensively built item in China and slap their name on it. It is like a competition to see who has the best marketing, logos, and labels rather than innovation and design backed by American quality.

Unfortunately the consumer drives a lot of that and I’m just as guilty as the next guy for wanting inexpensive items. It is the dark side to Capitalism.

Having said that, I’ll probably be looking around for that Eagle Claw because it seems like a much better price point for me than the anticipated $100 for the 6061.

Well, another gadget you guys MADE me buy. Just got back from GM, the 13 and EC are completely different. Not much too these things, my drag doesn't work at all, none, zip. They look a ton neater in the video. Verdict is still out for me. Mine is the one in FishinFools picture at $29.

I currently use Okuma 2/3's and the drag is great. To me that makes the use full feature. Drag to me is very important. If I am fishing for trophy fish it's a must. No matter the size, I like to set my drag for performance, because to me, it does matter.

Well, another gadget you guys MADE me buy. Just got back from GM, the 13 and EC are completely different. Not much too these things, my drag doesn't work at all, none, zip. They look a ton neater in the video. Verdict is still out for me. Mine is the one in FishinFools picture at $29.

The 13 version isn't even being sold yet, as far as i know