• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Retriever problems...

frabillfisher

Been working with my 5mo old yellow lab doing pretty basic retrieving. My problem is that he will sit and stay when i throw the bumper and stay untill i release him with his name no problem, but does not like to bring it straight back to me. I have been constantly working him on a 30 foot check cord and pulling him back to me everytime saying come but as soon as i start to pull on cord he will sometimes drop the dummy and try to bite at the cord. He is very familiar with a leash so its nothing new to him. He will continue this process untill i get him back to me. Is there anything else i can do as this does not seem to be working. I have tried the retrieving in the hallway thing and he does better untill we get back outside. Any input appreciated.

He's 5 months old... I'd expect that kind of behavior. He is still a pup and is going to do puppy stuff.

Keep at it, keep working on obedience (waaaay more important right now than fetching drills). When he is done teething, you can start on force fetch to solve your issues if you want to go that route. Otherwise keep the repetition up... teaching him the command 'fetch' at your side and the command 'hold' at your side and eaither 'drop' or 'give'. You do not need to throw the dummy. He will begin to understand that these are commands just like sit and stay. Eventually you will be doing marks again, but right now, you are just exascerbating your problems by having him out and away from you. There is no benefit to throwing the dummy 50 feet to do these drills vs. at your side. Not until he understands that he has to deliver the bumper to you.

I'd also suggest getting a training book or video and stick with a program. They will guide you through training step by step and help you to get to a 'finished' gun dog.

Good Luck!

Ken

Throw a long lead on him and do short tosses. Keep the end of the lead near you. When you send him on a fetch, reel him in like a fish if he doesn't come straight back. Keep it up. Repetition, consistency and praise are key for a young pup. Don't fret -- he'll get it. When he's old enough, do yourself a favor and force fetch him. Born retriever or not, any dog can use a good dose of FF to clean up the process. You won't regret it.