• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Upgrading GPS, DEPTH FINDER?

Question

I am upgrading my boat to a new Genisus troll motor. With that in mind I probably will go with a new depthfinder and gps unit. What do you guys like? Need one to download maps off computer and for use on the hard water. Some prices would be nice, going to a few shows to try and get good deal. Thanks for the info!

FISH ARE BITING JUST GOT BACK IN

6 answers to this question

I bought the Lowrance LMS 240 last year and love it.. .they now make the LMS 320, the only difference is the 240 is the 240-240 pix and the 320 is 320-320pix. It has the WAAS system in it.. and you can put the chips in it to download some maps.

Give them a look!

There's a ton of gps's out there that will offer you everything you want or need. I can't tell you one that is "the one" to have. Magellan, Garmin, and Lowrance all make good products. I still own a Magellan map 330 and am happy with it. If I were to get one today I'd get the Infotrack sport, which is basically just a prettier version of the map 330. Regarless of the brand and model you should be able to get into something pretty decent for around $200-250.

Here's what I'd suggest- get a unit with WAAS and mapping and that has been released in the last couple of years. Got to a store and look at them. Some models feel cheap and plastic-like, I'd avoid them- they break easily (Garmin makes some really good products, but they also make some of these fragile plastic models- IMHO). Also, be sure you get one that will store at least 500 waypoints.
I'm a year or so removed from most of the graph info so I'm not the guy for that one. Although it's true for gps's too, I have a tougher time keeping up with all the bells and whistles for graphs. Technology changes very fast for both of these products and I've stayed up on my knowledge for the gps's much better than the graph info.
Who can help out with graphs?
Good luck,
Scoot

I have a Magellan Meridian Marine and like it lots.they have upgraded the software so you can use a 128meg card for lots of map storage.I also think that keeping the gps and locator seperate allows you to have a single gps and many uses(boat,auto,hardwater,etc.)Good luck with whatever fits your needs!

------------------
Try Too Fish
Forced Too Work!!:)

I use the Magellan Meridian Marine and wouldnt trade it for anything. Its simple to use, the built in map is ok for larger bodies of water and major roadways. If you download maps all roadways become visible, super fine shoreline detail of any lakes, large or small ... and its portable enough where you can use it other than in your boat, etc. Cabela's has packages with the software, memory card, ram mount, and power cord for a reasonable price.

I have run a Lowrance LCX-15MT for a couple of years now and love it. It is a GPS/sonar unit in one. I have marked spots and come right back to the same place with it. I find it very easy to run and understand. I believe the unit itself stores around 1,000 waypoints along with the ability to store more on the MMC cards. I purchased mine at Reeds in Walker along with some mapping software. Now I do all my homework at home before fishing and punch in those coordinates to my unit and hit the water. Works great and alows my more time fishing instead of searching. Good Luck!