• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best spinning reel for 2-6# line??

lakevet

Question

Hey guys,
One of my old reliable lightweight spinning reels finally died. It held up thru bass tournaments in Minnesota and pink salmon in Alaska, in addition to many a slab crappie & jumbo perch. What the best mid price reel for 2-6#line? I fish mainly perch and crappies with it, but will get pushed a little as with the old ones. It will be on ice alot so a good drag is essential. Looking forward to your input!!

Don't forget to take a kid or senior fishing!!

Lakevet

[This message has been edited by lakevet (edited 01-25-2003).]

D-man, this is a quote verbatim from Shimanos instruction guide for a Sahara series reel. "SUPER STOPPER II This new anti-reverse system has been designed for maximum durability and instant hooksets. The system uses a one-way roller bearing that has been beefed up with extra thick rollers and race." I am not sure where the confusion would come from since this is straight from Shimanos literature. I do not have a vested interest when I make posts (ie. getting the name of a product or service posted), and I do not post if I do not know what I am talking about. I am not trying to cause any problems, but since this forum is called expert information I feel people should be getting accurate info. And if I see inaccurate info within the scope of my knowledge I will try to correct it for the benefit of all concerned. grin.gif

I have to put a vote in for Shimano Stradic. A bit pricey, compared to the ABU, but by far my favorite reel. The 1000 is great for line up to 6lb. The 2000 is great for 6, 8 or even 10. Silky smooth drag and retrieve.
Comes with a spare aluminum spool.

I vote for Abu. I bought the AGULF two years ago and have loved it, summer and winter. I went to Gander around Christmas to buy another one and the salesman told me about the new ASULF. It has 4 ball-bearings, which makes it very smooth for a small reel. Get this for some reason they had them on clearance for $15! That is less than what i paid for the three ball-bearing AGULF. I would try to find more of them at Gander.
bf

Without a shadow of a doubt, the Tica's in my opionion are the very best in ultra-light reels!! I have 7 of them and there are the only reel I own for ice fishing. smooth, adjustable drag, instant anti-reverse and appealing to the eye. You pay for what you get with these reels.

------------------
Get 'er done

I looked at the Tica's for the first time. Smooth feeling reel. I'm concerned about the bail spring design, as my experience with that type of spring is they break long before the rest of the reel begins to wear out. If it had a coil spring rather than the "loop" type of spring, I'd try one.

Take a kid or senior fishing!!

Lakevet