• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Surf Scoter

Went out this morning didnt see much other then this little number who came straight into the mallard spread wings cupped and landing gear down. little weird seeing him on that mallard pond but hey no complaints. shot one golden eye also. good luck this weekend i expect some one to trump this bird :lol:

surfscoter_zps7b402098.jpg

nope... have other plans. idk why some people these days feel that they have to make sure people eat what they shoot. its like they feel that have some personal obligation to make sure that they know people are going to do with their birds. what happened to the good ol days where people werent always so nosey and trying to throw their fellow hunters under the bus by jumping to conclusions.

Because there are some old fashioned people still around who feel that shooting something just to toss it in the mud after you take a couple pictures is low class and wasteful.

I assumed you were not that sort of person and were going to eat what you shot and thought maybe you'd tell us an interesting recipe. We used to cut the breasts into strips, bread 'em and toss 'em in deep fryer. A pile of strips and a mug of beer makes a nice end of days snack.

And if your not old enough to drink beer yet you can have a big Pepsi or diet cola.

well i dont do that and get a little irratated when people question what i do with them. so many people today try to be the hero and catch people in the wrong by insinuating they did something wrong. I am going to get it mounted. i am old enough for a good brewski also! just like last year me and my buddies shot a PILE of mergansers and every one was asking if we were eating them... just bugs me cause i was taught if i kill it i eat it. or get it mounted. and i have always done that. The older generation has to understand that not all young guys are all about killing as many as they can and then wasting them or dumping them so they can shoot more. Were not all a bunch of foiles migrators!

Well now that we got that debate out of the way. Cool looking bird. That photo you really captures the essence of duck hunting.

Missed my Alaska trip this year due to some other travel plans, but I thought about it a lot. Headed back for sure in 2013.

Hey Jim, no haters here. I simply asked if he was going to eat the scoter. Most people do not, but an old pal of mine would soak breasts in milk, cut into strips and deep fry with a light batter. We'd wipe 'em out by the platter at the duck camp.

Incidentally, they are a tough, rugged bird,harder to drop than you think. You gotta nail 'em pretty good with #4s. We had a floating blind (cost us $10K) and I've seen a few thousand in a day....along with a few dozen other species.

Ain't no haters around here-life is to short.

Saw some great flocks of goldeneyes and a few scooters on prince william Saturday. Answered a man overboard call from coast guard. The men were rescued by coast guard and lucky otter outfitters and were very lucky to have made it. severe hypothermia doesnt take long... As always, be careful out there!! Great pic!

nice! you guys get any ? were plannin a trip across kach bay in november. we were think maybe a day tripper outa whitter but it would most likely be a scout mission since me and my buddy have not been out there sea duckin yet