• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spirit Lake/West Okoboji Fishing reports by Paul’s Fishing Guide Service

More like 2-2.5" as of this afternoon, fishings poor at best but a few fish were being caught.... Ice is not all that safe and temps arent condusive to rebuilding yet....Yes guys are out and even a couple friends who will fish on about anything said it's shakey at best...

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All good to go A. Of IA . Some buddy's of mine fished anglers over the last few days and said that the fishing at ok. They had 10 they kept one day gills perch and Crappie. The said the pike are thick and on the chew. They measured just shy of 3" of ice but like shawn said you need to use extreme caution!

I went to the grade today. It was deader than dead. Not even many fish on flasher. Ice was 4-5" plenty safe. I talked to some guys who were on Anglers. I told one guy who walked out to talk to me dont fish the grade, go to anglers. He said I just came from Anglers, dont go there. He said he marked fish but no takers. Later I talked a guy who said he saw fish in Anglers but they were all pike and Muskies. I am gonna wait until some better parts of West get safe before I go back up

The ice on spirit is 5-9" and west is 3-9" The best gills are being caught in Emersons Bay. The best Walleye bite is on Spirit and we have been fishing off little Stony Point 17 fow and the bite has been good. We caught 15 plus fish tonight and the biggest was just under 20" Jigging spoons and minnow head. We are still looking for the Perch but maybe by next week we will find a few. smile

Spirit is kicking out piles of Walleyes. Fish Reeds Run or Stony Point 17-20 ft with a frosty spoon or a buckshot (Minnow Heads). Both work good. The Perch bite on Spirit is slow but they have been catching a few off West. The gill fishing has been spotty. When gill fishing keep on the move til you find some good fish.

Reports I'm getting is good walleye fishing but sorting is needed, my partner earlier today met me after getting his limit of eyes off Spirit, it's not an every day thing but at least every other at least....

Thats correct 1 out of 2 or 3 trips is very good. Im still working 17-20 FOW. Frosty Spoons have been good. Glow Red!

The bite is starting to pick up around the Iowa Great Lakes. Good Numbers of Gills are being caught in Anglers Bay and Millers on West O. Perch are being caught in 12 ft of water along the shores of the main lake. Keep on the move if your in millers the fish are in one spot on one day and another spot the next.

Thanks for the tips Kevan, finally made it down to 'Boji and gave it a shot. I hopped around until I found some fish, Millers was the ticket. I saw a monster of a gill, but that's as far as the story goes. He gave me half a look but didn't even want to get close enough to get my heart going. It was like watching a 180 class buck and hoping he'd come into range. I came for the sightfishing and got to experience it. (Also got to load up on gear at Fishermen's Factory Outlet and take IGLs off my must do list and put them on my must do again list). I fooled enough 'gills to make me happy and got to experience the fickle nature of these fish. It really does make you better at jigging, terminal tackle selection, and fish behavior interpretation. I just haven't done enough of it through the years!

Also found some perch out deeper; I was fishing in a t shirt and sunglasses for nearly two hours, hard to beat! Finished the day on some stained water nearby and found a mixed bag of fish. I ended up helping a couple young guys that came driving up learn about ice fishing, flashers, gear selection...a variety of topics. They were happy to take home my catch for a meal. So I guess it's pay it forward. Kevan provided a few good tips and I was able to send along a few as well.

Good luck guys, that's an awesome resource and I will be back!

Thanks I'm glad I could help. Millers really has been the best spot this winter. We have been finding most of the fish biting on a tiny tungsten jig and a piece of Berkley Bloody. The Crappie did go well on Pink wedges with a small lead jig. The lead seems to fall much slower and thats what the crappie were looking for.

Little E and the Bar has been good but it takes a special day and fisherman to find them and figure it out. This year has been way different compared to year in the past.

We have been catching good gills in the Canals on West O and the Walleyes have been going very good after dark on all 3 lakes. Most people are pulling cranks with the electric at about 1.5 in 5-9 fow Flickers have been my choice of bait.