• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Clear Lake Fishing reports by Paul’s Fishing Guide

Kevan, Never fished yellow before but me and 2 others are thinking about coming down next saturday to give it a try. Hopefully if we get into some fish we may do that tournament you have as well. Could you give us a step in the right direction though. Just wondering where to access the lake and where we should start looking.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kevan, I haven't fished Clear Lake in years and a couple of us are thinking of meeting up down there, what bait shops are open still? The last time I was down there in open water season we used the Bait Dome I think, the geodesic bait shop......

I just looked at the Iowa DNR maps and what the dredging did to the lake near Ventura, I think they call it the little lake? Anyway, are the dredgelines still like that? They look absolutely crazy......

The Crazyminnow is the only bait shop and if you stop im he could tell you about the different locations. The little lake has been the best and yes the dredge cuts still look like that. But remember the lake is down 31" so its not as deep as it may look If you pull out of Macintosh and go east the first big curve with the white shed is the pump house. Just remember that is the area with the aerators so be careful.

How hard is it to find the yellow bass? Planning to make our first trip down at the end of February here. What to look for on lake maps as far as location that will hold them and how deep are they at this time of year? Is it better to follow the crowd or fish away? Thanks

We still have lots of ice and good fishing. 17" and the Yellows are still going in the little lake. Might as well make one more trip.

Is the ice pretty much consistent all over the Little Lake? I want to drive my half ton on it, but I am quite nervous about doing so.

Kevan Paul,

Where do you access from and how deep are you fishing at? Planning a trip there this weekend with the kids. It will be my first time there so hoping to get into some yellow bass. I looked at the map and seems like Mcintosh is one access I can go in. Any tips will be appreciated. Thanks.

macintosh is about the best place to go in at or lorenzen park. Mudbugs with spikes or cutbait works best. The best thing to do is drill a lot of holes and keep on the move. Once you find the honey hole you will catch piles of fish. Start in the center of the little lake and work away from there I would go west but don't be afraid to go south or east.

Kevan,

Aside yellow bass I see that Clear also has white bass. I've caught some and seen a few caught through the ice this year on Clear. My question is does anyone catch them with some regularity? Or are they abundant in Clear lake during the open water season too? Thanks!