• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Duck opener

got out on the 31st to set up camp. got to the spot and had to bush wack though 300 yards of alders a few times to set up the camp. came back to the boat to see it floating down the river so i had to run down and grab it before i lost it to the pacific ocean. finally got camp and set up and had a few hot glasses of apple pie we hit the hay. Woke up to pouring rain and my boat almost sunk to the bottom of the river. so we cut open the empty beer cans and started to bail out my boat before we set up the decoys. After dealing with that mess we finally got set up and in the blind as soon as it came time to shoot. it was pretty slow for the first hour but then as the lazy alaskan hunters got out there a hour late they started kicking up ducks from the sloughs. took a little longer to get all of our ducks but i was pretty happy with the success. ended up killing our 3 man limit of 24 ducks consisting of mallards, pintails, widgeons, teal, ringers, and golden eyes.

looking up the valley

P9010854.jpg

P9010855.jpg

P9010857.jpg

Whether near salt or up the rivers you should throw your anchor out and leave the line on deck to pay out if needed if/when the boat floated off. It will save your butt some day or at least save some time of someone else when they have to go fetch your boat for you or give you a ride (if you're lucky enough to have someone come by). Sorry to preach but it's the little things that'll make or break your outing. I've been nice enough to rescue a few rookie guides from another lodge who just pulled their boat up on the beach but had the tide come up on em. ;-)

yup learned my lesson. and just happy i made it back to pick it up. now i just tie it up way high in the trees. water raises about 7 feet from low tide at the spot. gettin a anchor also to throw out. always nervous around tides and tieing my boat up especially cause i cant see it from where i hunt. fisher king have you duck hunted up here before? you live about a mile away from me lol