• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Water-proofing Carhartt jacket.

slick2526

Question

I have a carhartt jacket. Its the best one you can get, or atleast what I think, It costed $90.00 at fleet farm. Well, its is pretty dirty and I need to wash it.
I believe there is something they spray on them when you buy them that makes the coat water proof.
Do any of you know of a spray i should use, or something i should do while washing, or after washing the coat?
Thanks

6 answers to this question

Slick:

I have used a spray, I think called Camp Dry, that waterproofs fabric. Used it on a nylon windbreaker and it repelled water just fine, but isn't really waterproof in a hard rain. And it will wear off eventually.

Anybody else know of this or a similar spray?

Slick pop in the Carhartt web site and see what they say about care.

Some fabrics may work well with a Scotchgard type product, while others may be better suited to treatments like the Gore-Tex spray and a med/hot iron.

They have a preaty neat site too, worth a look.

I've washed my Carhart Extreme jacket a couple of times and haven't noticed much of a difference on being water proof. I'm sure more washings I will need to do something though. I check out Carhartt's HSOforum and didn't notice anything about care, maybe drop them an e-mail or give them a call.

----------

Fishn'Lady

I guess I would used camp dry. I have owned several over the years though and I have never treated them after washing. I don't think that it really necessary for you to do that. Plus if you put the Camp Dry on it you will get higher than the "Rolling Stones on opening night of a new tour" (Jeff Foxworthy).