• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

aerators in the garage

setterguy

Question

Has anyone used those plug in aerators and if so do they work in freezing environments, namely my unheated uninsulated garage? I think it might work just to keep the water moving just enough not to freeze. Any thoughts?

7 answers to this question

I've been using a regular aquarium aerator in a foam minnow bucket & it still freezes up, especially with these temps. It will just take a couple days instead of a few hours. I've been alternating between the garage & the basement. When you get too much ice just bring them inside. It should be OK for a couple days. Vern

i use a coleman cooler,holds est 8 gallons or so,it will freeze over on top but plenty
of water to keep minnows alive,still have to bring it in every few days to thaw out

Keep you minnows in your basement with an Oxygenator http://fishingmn.com/oxygenator/
It keeps oxygen in the water, unlike a bubbler or aquarium pump, the bubbles hit the surface and you lose the oxygen.
Then just put your minnows in the garage a day before you go fishing to lower the water temp to avoid shock.

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/
click here

[This message has been edited by D-man (edited 01-23-2003).]

Hey Setterguy, I've had some fatheads in the basement for almost 2 weeks and they still look good. Just keep the air on & change the water every couple days. Chlorinated tap water might kill them, so if you add water let it sit for a day or get some de-chlor drops from the petstore. Put them in the coolest spot you can find. By the way, I plowed snow for about 10 years. This is definately the worst year I can remember. Good luck, I hope we see some snow! Vern

I've been using a old bilge pump, with low gph so it won't spray too far, connected it to a livewell switch with timer and to a trolling battery, and dropped it into bucket. It goes on every minute and runs for 90seconds, I didn't have any problem all winter, I even keep shiners in same bucket, it will save a bundle from expensive minnows.

http://www.kvesurplus.com

[This message has been edited by D-man (edited 01-24-2003).]