• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Salmon Strikes - Downrigger Footage

Hi everyone,

The following is a sample of downrigger footage we have taken during this salmon season on Lake Ontario. Most of the footage was shot down 80 to 110 feet which challenges the smaller sensor camera but we're happy with some of the results.

Hope you enjoy!

Tat is some awsome footage! Nice to really see what the fish are doing and the action of the flies and spoons. We put a camera down on lake Michigan and it was amazing how many fish nosed and followed but never hitalmost to the point of getting discouraging. It started us adding some stalls and more turns into our trolling which seemed to help trigger the fish. Great job!

Tunrevir~

Very cool!

What is it that you guys are using that is in front of the spoon?

I have been trying to get "dialed in" using my downrigger for lakers.

This Spring we tried a big flasher ahead of the spoon by about 3 feet or so. We finally took it off as the rod kept going up with no fish. We would find big teeth marks in the flasher! The fish were going after the flasher rather than the spoon behind it.

I like the idea of some kind of attractor. Wondering what it is that you guys are using and if you ever have the fish hit that attractor rather than the lure?

My best luck with Canadian Lakers has always been with crank baits. White, black /silver, Blue/white. That was for "Ice out" Lakers, though. When I used to down rig on Lake Michigan, we would always get most of out Lakers on any line with a crank bait on it. Shad Raps, #9 Originals, Bomber Style.

Very cool!

What is it that you guys are using that is in front of the spoon?

I have been trying to get "dialed in" using my downrigger for lakers.

This Spring we tried a big flasher ahead of the spoon by about 3 feet or so. We finally took it off as the rod kept going up with no fish. We would find big teeth marks in the flasher! The fish were going after the flasher rather than the spoon behind it.

I like the idea of some kind of attractor. Wondering what it is that you guys are using and if you ever have the fish hit that attractor rather than the lure?

The flasher we are using is called a Spin Doctor by Dreamweaver Lures which has worked well for us. From the footage we have taken so far, none of the fish have hit the flasher but we have read on other posts that flashers are coming up with bite marks on them.

Thanks for watching.