• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Resharpening Auger Blades

Alphid

Question

I have a Laz Mag Power Auger and am in need of some new blades. I saw in Gander Mountain a tool to resharpen Auger blades and I am wondering if they work that well on more dull blades or are mainly used for resharpens failry sharp blades.
thanks,
A

23 answers to this question

I made the mistake of using this tool on my Mora strikemaster hand-auger and my blades barely cut after using it.

Let everyone else learn from my mistake, this tool only works on Laser blades.

If it's the sharpener with the blue handle, I found it works pretty good on my Mora. It's saved me a lot of money on new blades the last few years.

Mike

I have a buddy looking for a tool to touch up his Dull Lazar Mag 10" auger.

Where do you get them? Those tapered blades are tough to get right.

Is this one of those carbide V grove sharpeners?

Thanks,

Ed

Yes, this is a carbide tool with a blue handle. The directions are simple and it works good. I think I got mine at Scheels last year. They are made for Strikemaster blades only. Scott Steil

The angle is preset and it uses a guide along the bottom (flat side) of the cutting blade to keep the angle correct. Very easy, just keep the long side of the sharpening tool to the bottom of the blade. Scott Steil

Val, Thats what I thought,But when I came over to get that tub. I stopped in there to get blades for my Lazer mag. He charged me $17.50. WOW. Might think about that other one with the blue handle. GOOD FISHIN smile.gif DOUG

Thanks Scott, I'll pass that along.

With a built in guide it sounds like a good deal.

How much are they?

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 01-23-2003).]

Eddy:

I got mine a few years ago. Couldn't have been much more than $5, but I don't remember exactly.

It does an equally good job on my 8-inch Mora hand auger and my 10-inch serrated XL-3000 curved power auger blades. It also sharpens the edges of the center point.

Yeah, it's especially important because no one seems to have the right equipment to sharpen the rounded lazer blades on my XL-3000.

I once contacted Strikemaster to complain, and they said the machine they have to turn out their blades sharpened and polished goes for a huge ton of money.

No wonder Joe-Bob's Sharpening Service down the street doesn't have a sharpener for those blades. blush.gif

Until I bought the cheap blue sharpener, I was touching up my blades with a whetstone.

------------------
"I've driven farther before to catch fewer fish . . ."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

Doug....WOW, that's a lot.

I had mine last year, I was going to get another set this year, but I think I'll ask price first........geee..seventeen bucks ???

Looks like inflation has a big influence on auger blades.....or maybe it's Saddam wink.gif

Thanks for the heads up !!

Val, I to got some there last year for $7.50, What a difference a year makes. Does it have new owners? I about dropped on the floor when he said 17.50. I'll take better care of them from now on. GOOD FISHIN smile.gif DOUG

Alphid, I have the tool you are talking about. I used it for the first time last week. It works really well. My blades were terrible. I worked on them for about 2-3 minutes with the sharpener and they were good to go. You will never get them back to the original shape but you will notice a huge difference in how it cuts. You will notice that it is just the outside half of the blade that is getting dull, this part does the bulk of the cutting. Scott Steil

Here's a thought for anyone trying to sharpen their auger blades- try a belt sander or emory cloth. A buddy of mine works for a resort at LOW and he said they quit trying to sharpen blades with any kind of sharpener other than a belt sander. He's sharpening only fixed-angle blades (i.e. not curved ones like the mora's you're talking about), but I'd guess that touch up work with emory cloth would work well too. Maybe a combo of the tool you're talking about and emory cloth might work extra well???
Give it a shot and don't blame me if it doesn't work! I plan on trying it next time I sharpen my blades.
Scoot

Doug, funny part is I used the auger to...dig post holes last year, figured out $ 7.50 for blades is cheaper than renting a digger. It did work good though... grin.gif

They weren't too happy when thay saw my blades.

I guess...no more hole digging....

For guys that live in the Fargo Moorhead area Twin Cities Shapernening sharpens blades for $5 a piece that was a couple years ago. So if you have a double blade $10 triple $15 etc. To those of you who use ice auger for post hole diggers STOP!! The metal on ice augers are much lighter that post hole diggers. When I work at a small engine shop I have a gentalman bring in a jiffy that he had used for post hole digging. It was all bent up and the flighting was all twisted and broken. He ended up having to have his powerhead overhauled and ended up buy a new auger section. Not worth it if you need post holes rent post hole auger they aren't that expensive.

[This message has been edited by iffwalleyes (edited 01-24-2003).]

If I recall correctly, there was literature that came with both my Strikemaster augers which talked about "off season" sharpening at a very reasonable price. Off-season being April-May-June.

I know that wouldn't help right now, but it is something to keep in mind for later on.

UG

Thanks for all the replies!! smile.gif I was hoping for a couple of quick responses and now look at the post, its on FIRE. This is what makes this site so valuable.
I will be going to get one of them tonight at Gander. I saw them earlier in the season for ten dollars. Hopefully some of them are still left.
Thanks,
A