• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vexilar

Question

Recently purchased a new FL-18 and was wondering if the old transducer on my fishing boat will work with the Vex? It was used with a flasher unit, but I don't know what brand. Will it hurt the Vexilar if I just try it. I don't want to blow $400.00 Would be nice to save the seventy bucks of so.

14 answers to this question

I would contact the guys at Fish-lectronics. They should be able to tell you. The people at Vexilar may have motives for their information. And as sound as the advice is here on this board I wouldn't bet 400 bucks that its reliable. They are good guys at that shop and won't steer you wrong. Good Luck

I asked the guys at vex the same question.The tech said as long as it was 200khz it will work just fine.
Mine was a zercom ducer.I got a new end from the vex people and the tech said if i wanted he would put it on .
The vex only uses two of the pins on there plug by the way.

By changing the plug I mean just that.. Changing the plug.

Also in my readings of the FL-8 manual it says that cut or damaged cords may be spliced.

"sought da' fish?"

Yes, most 200Khz that don't have speed and temp built in will work, but i think the original question was could you plug any ducer cord up to Vexilar flasher. With modifications it can be done. Make sure your hooking up the proper wires to the Vex connection.

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/
click here

I have a Bottom Line 310 with temp speed etc.

My boat would top at 34 mph according to the speed guage before modification to the coax cable.

The cord got chopped off so we took 10 feet out of it and spliced it back together.

The results were as follows:

• Top speed read 34 mph
  • Depth readings matched my other sounder.
  • Temp guage matched Chemistry thermometer

How long it will last is yet to be detirmined, but we soldered the connections, wrapped it good with electricians tape, and put heat shrink around it. Hopefully it will be durable enough for another season or two.

craig

Well give it a go, all your out is a bit of time. My luck with it was not as good. D-Man is right, no temp or speed will help, less stuff to go wrong.

Shrink tubing is good. I also like the paint on vinyl to add a extra layer of protection.

Hope it works out for you.

Hey sounds good.

I got a few ducers that are 200 kHz that are just going to waste. Guess I'll change the plugs on em' and put em' to use.

thanks username,

"sought da' fish?"

By changing the plug, do you mean splice?

That will not serve you well.

Take my advice, get a new 12 deg Vexilar transducer and save yourself a lot of pain.

ed-logo.jpg
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 01-25-2003).]

I was told that the cord on the transducer is figured in on the depth.It measures the distance from target plus exact length of cord = correct reading. But that was with an old green box and they had 25' of cord.