• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone tried to heat a two-flip house?

Scoot

Question

Anyone else tried to heat a house that flips two ways? I'm talking about the houses that have a sled in the middle and flip out each way to fish on both sides of the sled. I've found that if it's moderately cold out, running one heater on one side of the house makes one guy too hot and the other too cold. Anyone else have this problem?
So far we've just run two heaters, but that eats up a lot of room bringing with two heaters and propane tanks. My heater is a Mr. Heater (single, not the cooker) and has to be hooked directly to the tank, so I can't run a spliter valve off the tank and supply both heaters.
Any suggestions? Anyone else have this problem?
Scoot

5 answers to this question

Have you ever thought of getting the accesory post? you can attach the heater to the post and run a line to the other side. Also you may still be able to rig something up, Alot of stores have propane accesories that accomodate every sort of situation.

A buddy bought the double-wide this season and noticed the same thing...his solution was to hang a cooker from a bungie in the center of the shack with the tank below...still need two lanterns though, otherwise their are dark spots in shack.

--Prudence

Scoot,
What are those two way flippers like to set up by oneself? I'm in the process of deciding what kind of house I need for my boy and me for next year. If it's too heavy and clunky for one guy, it's not worth it. I do really like them though. RJ's and KH's are dandies.

MJ

Too long of an answer to put here, but here's the abbreviated version. They're very nice. Relatively easy set up and pretty quick. Very comfortable, roomy, great houses.
However, if I was getting a house today, I wouldn't get one. Mobility is much more difficult in these houses than a typical, one-flip house. Almost complete tear-down is necessary to move, even only short distances. The next house I get will be a three man, one-side flip house. Roomy for two, you can manage three if necessary and as mobile as any flip-style house. Also, the heating and lighting difficulties are not an issue in the one side flippers.
My .02.
Scoot

Having just used a double-flip (double-wide) house, I would agree with some of the above comments. Very roomy (can fish 6 people with ample room), but more difficult to set up and take down than a single-flip house. If a strong wind is blowing, or comes up, you may have problems handling the house unless you have a strong partner with you. The time and effort involved in moving definitely makes one think about relocating once you are set up. On the plus side, mine is made of insulated canvas (a Canvas Craft product), and was toasty with a single Mr. Heater cooker on low with winds of 25 mph and sub-zero temps. This may not be the case with single-layer canvas.

In summary, depends on your manpower situation and needs. Can't beat the double-wide for room, and can be handled readily by two adults in normal conditions. However, it may require more heating capacity than a single-flip, and is definitely more effort.
If you only need room for three people, I'd get either a single-flip house, or a pull-over type (with a door, so heat stays in).
Canvas Craft makes a number of types with insulated canvas, and I think that it is a significant improvement in warmth and comfort, plus doesn't sweat on the inside if you seal the seams.