• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Legal, refillable 1lb propane clyinders

deadeye

Question

Is there such a thing as a refillable 1lb cylinder? Or am I stuck with the disposable ones? I use the disposables for my lantern and a 11lb tank for the heater and was wondering if there is a "legal" 1lb refillable cylinder. I don"t like the idea of throwing all of thoose 1 pounders away if I can get a refillable. Thanks for any help.

On the subject of refilling 5 pounders. I have a new 5 pound tank that I would like to fill at the commercial places but it doesn't have the new safety refill valve. Does anyone know if those valves can be purchased somewhere and installed on the old tanks. Seems a shame to throw away the tanks. Maybe it would be cost prohibitive, I think a new 5 pound cost about $30.
Thanks for any help.
Makky

I bought a OPD valve at L&M last weekend,it is for a 20 pounder. The cost was $15.00.
I have lots of 20 pounders that are in very good condition,and for 15 bucks,to convert them is not a bad deal.

Makky

The valve conversion deal is a pain, both in the @ss and the wallet. The valve swap costs as much or more then a new tank......GRRRR!

What REALLY ticks me off is I bought a new #5 last year and as soon as I got it it was...you got it....in need of a swap. Ticked me off that the sales person didn't warn me....he knew too....the putz!

I do not think legally you can swap the vales yourself unless your licensed to do so?

I believe the person who swaps them needs to be certified to do so.

The valve thing burns my buns some, yet if it saves lives it is worth the hassle though.

i have a refillable 1 # bottle that has a adapter tube that fits from a 20# to the 1#. instead of a fixed valve, it has a valve that opens. you turn the 20# upside down, attach the filler adaptor to the 1# and fill until the propane comes out valve white, then carefully close valve and your done. saves a fortune. had it for years don't remember where i bought it. hope this answers your ques.

i have a refillable 1 # bottle that has a adapter tube that fits from a 20# to the 1#. instead of a fixed valve, it has a valve that opens. you turn the 20# upside down, attach the filler adaptor to the 1# and fill until the propane comes out valve white, then carefully close valve and your done. saves a fortune. had it for years don't remember where i bought it. hope this answers your ques.

------------------
iceman