• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Legal, refillable 1lb propane clyinders

deadeye

Question

Is there such a thing as a refillable 1lb cylinder? Or am I stuck with the disposable ones? I use the disposables for my lantern and a 11lb tank for the heater and was wondering if there is a "legal" 1lb refillable cylinder. I don"t like the idea of throwing all of thoose 1 pounders away if I can get a refillable. Thanks for any help.

I think if you look in Cabelas you can find an adapter so you can fill 1lbers yourself. A buddy of mine has on and I think that is where he said he got it. Master catalog pg199 EZ PROPANE FILLER. 2/3 DOWN THE PAGE

Had limited success getting much gas in the tanks on the ice when both tanks were at about zero degrees. Tried it today with the 20 pounder at room temp and it worked great.

These refilled tanks must be checked carefully, as some will leak after being filled. I'm really surprised that you can even buy the refill valve.

I have one of those adaptors they work alright. The things is that they only equalize the pressure between the two tanks. So if your tanks that you are transfering from is getting low it won't put as much in the 1 lb tank. I have had some where they continue to leak after filling throw them away. Set them outside and let them bleed out.

Consider the #5 tank, small and easy to store. It is about the size of a volley ball.

Then you can avoid the hassle and dangers of refilling #1 tanks, plus all the recyclable waist disposal issues.

Yes you can buy the adapters at Menards for running hoses. I have a post with three hookups for Hoses or a Lantern on top that hooks right into the larger tanks. It's great for the lantern as it is cheap and get your light up off the ice. I think someone still makes them. Mine is a Coleman but is 12-14 years old.

The internal valve, spring and seal on the disposable one pounders are cheap, designed for a short life span, they are not designed to be refilled, the resultant leakage is a safety hazard, better to go with a 5 pound refillable tank. It will save you money in the long run, perhaps even save you from an accident, fire or explosion.

Thanks for all of the responses. I will probably end up going with the five pounder. I was still wondering though if they produce a refillable one pound cylinder. I have heard stories about the cheap coleman one pounders exploding when you refill them so i don't want to take the risk. I do alot of walk in trips into the boundary waters and other lakes that require pulling a sled a long distance so anything that reduces the weight is a real back saver. thanks for all the responses, the info is really apreciated! ><>
deadeye

Can you refill a 5 pounder from a 20 pounder in the same way you fill 1 pounders from a 20 pounder? I ask this because if I got a 5 pounder, I would be running to the propane distributor for refills too often for my liking.

The #5 tanks should have the new style valve (make sure it does), so you should be able to fill it just as you would any #20.

The fat boy #5's are a handy little tank for many things. Not always easy to find but worth it.

ed-logo.jpg

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 01-24-2003).]

I don't think you will "fill" your 5lb completely. I believe that pressure is the main thing need to fill and you would lose quite a bit. But I'm not a liquid propane guru. My finger tips are living proof of that. Or should I say lack of skin on my fingertips.

Thanks Chemist
I guess I don't care if I can fill a #5 completely, as long as it's nearly full. I'm just curious whether anyone has ever tried filling a #5 off of a #20. I'd like to get a #5, but not if I have to haul it over to the propane dealer every few weeks for a refill. If I could do it myself off of a #20 cylinder, I would definitely be interested. Anyone had any experience trying this?

I originally thought the the new valve would prevent flow when tipped over, but that is not the case. The new valve is made to prevent overfilling. I use the new valved 20 pounders to fill one pounders and they work fine. You tip the the twenty over when filling one pounders. I'm sure that you could fill five's with a twenty, but I bet you would only get a decent fill the first and maybe the second time. The trick is to chill the empty and warm the full one.

I agree with ST on filling five pounders. Go to your LP dealer. Buy two or three 5 pounders if you don't want to go back often.

Seems to be some conflicting info here. Surface Tension says you can't tip the new valved cylinders to fill a 1 lber and Big-Al says you can. Which is it?

I would also be interested in deadeye's idea of a "legal" 1 lb. cylinder that can be refilled and transported in a vehicle legally, and fit in my buddy heater or on my lantern.

I was at a propane supply shop and they had a 20 lber with a cut away. There was definitly a shutoff. I did notice it could be tipped quite a bit before it would shut off the gas though. I dont know if the shutoff was unique to this brand tank or was the standard.

Al I didnt see your post. I would tend to think the shutoff valve at the shop I saw unique to that brand tank. Anyway I guess theres only one way to find out if yours can be tipped and filled.

[This message has been edited by Surface Tension (edited 01-26-2003).]

There very well may be another type of valve out there. I figured with the new valve that my valve to fill the one pounders would not work, but it works just fine. To fill the one pounders you attach the tank and then turn the twenty pounder upside down and then open the valve for one minute. The gas does transfer.

As far as the legality of transporting, I was told that it was only illegal to transport these refilled bottles commercially, but I would not trust that info. Anyone know for sure?

If you are filling from a little biger tank maybe check about a 100 lb tank from your lp supplyer it may be rent free and could refill just once in summer at low cost after this!

ALL refilled 1 pound cylinders are illegal to transport in a vehicle. Check the DOT web site, it is a federal law.

If you ever seen a picture of what they can do to a person and a vehicle or a fish house when they do blow, man, you wouldn't even try transporting them.

Imagine an incendiary grenade going off inside a vehicle, that is what happens.

In this situation the only way to be sure "It can't happen to me", is, don't use them.

eddy, that is what I was worried about. I wouldn't want to get caught up in that myself or have anyone that is with me get hurt. The way I look at it by refilling the little ones that are not meant to be refilled is like playing russian roulete. S.T., the reason why I would refill a smaller one off a bigger tank would be because I have a couple twenty pounders already and why go spend money if you already have the juice.

If your still looking for 5# LP tanks?

I see Mills Fleet Farm has then in and on sale too. I think they have 2 models too?

A very handy tank, for many things.