• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bird Id help

harvey lee

I have this bird that comes maybe once a week that I notice. No pictures.

It is a medium grey in color and a little off yellow on the chest and some by the rump underneath. The rest of the stomach area is white.

On the back and wings, it is grey in color with shapes like a V with approx 3-4 down the back and some on the wings in white thin bands. has some black smaller like bands by the white that mix with the grey.

The beak is a pointy one somewhat like a oriole. The bird is larger than a goldfinch yet smaller than a Oriole. Tail feathers are a greyish color also.

It appears to look like a woodpecker of some sort. When it comes to the feeders, it will leave the seeds along and it goes for the grape jelly all the time. I have not seen it eat any bird food yet.

I looked threw my Audubon Society field guide to North American birds and cannot find it.

Does it sort of look like a grey Cardinal with a different beak and the crest on the head not as pronounced? Maybe a Great Crested Fly Catcher?

Now that I look back at your post I see you mentioned it sort of looks like a woodpecker. The only grey woodpecker that I can think of is a Red Bellied Woodpecker but they're bigger than an Oriole.

I have been trying but I do not have that great of a zoom on the camera and the feeder is in the wide open and no way of getting close enough to get a good pic.

I have a pint canning jar at an angle on a post full of jelly and the darn birds climb right into the glass jar to eat. Tough to get a photo with the bird inside the pint sized cannig jar.

Could you describe your general geographic location....?

The "back forty" does not help much. Possibilities can

sometimes be narrowed down when geography is considered.

For example, I'm leaning towards red bellied woodpecker.

If your back forty is up by Rainy Lake, MN., I might be

skeptical of Red Bellied Woodpecker. Though it still occurs

there, it would be considered rare. If your back forty is

down by the Twin Cities, then I would lean more heavily

towards Red Bellied Woodpecker, as they are more common

there. They are also known connoisseurs of grape jelly... smile

Take the red off the top of the head and add as tad of yellow to the underside of the back of the bird. On the back, the one I am seeing does not have as many white markings on the backside.

I was going to put my trial camera up but that is in North dakota so not an option.

Wish I had a tranquilizer dart.