• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Joe Mauer....all star selection

eyebenband

I didn't vote because I disagree that a last place team needs representation but if we have to send someone Mauer would not get my vote. He probably would have been my fourth choice after Willingham, Plouffe, and maybe even Morneau.

He's played in what, 1/4 of the games? He has caught in only half of the Twins games. So, 50% of the time he is a part time catcher. 25% is split between 1st base and DH. Another 25% sitting in the whirlpool. Did the All-Star game need a part time catcher?

Leading the league in hit's into double plays. That is huge given that he doesn't play 1/4 of the time. Just think, he could have 25% more hits into double plays.

Poeple need to get over him. Yes, he's a good hitter but he's not the best catcher in the game or the best player on the team.

I guess I should have voted a few times. laugh

I guess there are always those that will prefer

to see the negative side of things...live their

lives that way.

Me....sunshine, apple pie and happy thoughts.

And 72 out of 80 doesn't add up to 25% games missed.

But think what you want. Have a nice day.

Mauer has DHed 20 times already this year. That means he has not played defensively for the Twins about 28 out of 80 games or so.

How many games has he played in as the Catcher? He's a good backup for Doumit wink

Most overrated loser in the history of MN sports. How the heck could you even sleep at night knowing that your are taking 184 mil and you arent doing squat to earn it. He is worse than wall st scum. They should try to trade him for a bag of sunflower seeds or some jock itch cream. He should try to get an endorsement gig for manpoons or kotex or something along those lines. Havent watched a game since he got his big deal and I probably wont til he leaves.

How many games has he played in as the Catcher? He's a good backup for Doumit wink

Not a bad gig if you can get it. At the rate he is going he will gross $383,000 per start as a catcher this year. Assuming he catches 60 games.

This move is ranking up there close to the Herschel Walker deal that sent the Vike's to the toilet for a long time. Here we are again at the bottom of the league with a huge percent of payroll in one player and few prospects.

Most overrated loser in the history of MN sports. How the heck could you even sleep at night knowing that your are taking 184 mil and you arent doing squat to earn it. He is worse than wall st scum. They should try to trade him for a bag of sunflower seeds or some jock itch cream. He should try to get an endorsement gig for manpoons or kotex or something along those lines. Havent watched a game since he got his big deal and I probably wont til he leaves.

Calm down there Buck. Is there ANYTHING that you enjoy?

NO WAY does Plouffe deserve a mention in and All Star game. He has what, 34 RBIs? His avg is starting to come around, but is what, .250? Oh my gosh, I cant believe i just read that.

Mauer and Willy both could have gone. 3rd in BA and 1st in OBP is certainly deserving. Willy aint exactly helping us much defensively either.

the all star player selections are never going to be perfect.

willingham coulda gone, but his numbers aren't better than austin jackson's of detroit who also didn't go.

pierzynski should be there instead of mike napoli who the fans voted in.

and don't ask me how you could consider plouffe over miguel cabrera or adrain beltre???

Mauer is havin a pretty dam good year. He is what he is... hes not a home run hitter and he'll never get in the weight room and nut up. The guys batting like .400 in june. Thats ted williams like. The twins had to pay him or else somebody else would have and you'd all be crying about the twins letting him go. I cant even hear that argument, its hogwash!

This teams has ALOT bigger problems then Joe Mauer, ill tell you that much. Like a complete garbage pitching staff for one...

Willingham can hit the hell out of the ball but the guy is Delmon Young like in the outfield, you could maybe bring him in as a pinch hitter in the all star game.

I would s*** Mauer clean if he asked me to. He is my hero. Willingham probably should have gotten the first nod for the twins but Mauer is a very close second. All of you that hate him havent been watching his play since late May/early June. The guys been on fire. He may not be worth every penny he is owed, but he is probably pretty close. This is the first year in a long time the twins salary cap has gone down and it barely has. We can afford him and still sign good players.

#yallsomebustas

Yiggin, I'm with you on this one. Joe had so many great years for a young guy and the expectations are unreal. He has a bad year, due to injuries and a lot of people crucify the guy. I'd rather he DH or play first a little bit instead of trying to catch everyday, he'll last a lot longer.I wonder what he would have to do to please some people. If he walked on water to save a drowning man, someone would bit.. that he couldn't swim!!!

He has played in 72 of 80 games, contrary to everybody's statements; DH IS playing. He is 3rd in Batting average and 1st in On Base Percentage... He got picked by Washington (it is not like he ran a campaign to be picked), because there are few catchers (and lots of OF) with great offensive stats. Don't kid yourself that his stats are not GREAT because they are, when you compare them to just about every other Catcher in baseball.

As for Willingham sure he could have been our guy and I would have been ok... but PLouffe???? I hope they don't do random drug testing at your job. The guy had a great month to get BACK to a .250 average. MAybe it could have been a bullpen guy like perkins but Mauer is the "draw". Go to a game and count jerseys, tell me who has the most... just saying.

Mike Napoli is batting .233 and something like.180 the last two months. He should be the catcher people are complaining about being an all star. Joe is 4th in batting avg and first in OBP. Those are all star numbers. I don't write Joe a check each month so I could care less what he's paid. He's having a solid year and deserved the selection.

Dude.....you need a vacation or a night out!!!

It always stuns me about how many baseball fans don't have a clue. Plouffe in the all-star game? You gotta be kidding me! I'm happy for him. Nice month kid...Now learn to play defense.

The Twins did what they had to do when Mauer was up for free agency. Would they be a better team without him and his big contract? Possibly. The fan base would have screamed like never before if they let him go to a higher bidder after building a new ballpark. If leading the league in on base % and batting .320 something on a last place team isn't an all-star, I don't know what is!