• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deer cart or quarter deer and carry?

On 6/26/2012 at 11:42 AM, NoWiser said:

I don't plan on ever carting a deer out of where I hunt again. I bought a good internal frame pack to carry with me hunting, and an external pack frame to leave at camp. If I shoot a deer, I should be able to comfortably pack out 50 lbs on the first trip with my hunting pack, and retreive the rest with my pack frame on the second trip. I am 100% certain this will be much easier than the cart, at least where I hunt.

NoWiser is spot on!  There are only a very few scenarios where a cart will work more efficiently than taking care of the deer via gutless method, deboning, and hauling in a good pack.  It takes a little bit of know how, some prep work in bringing the right equipment and being prepared, and having a good pack to do the job.  95% of the packs guys are using in MN are not good packs for hauling an animal (that's my opinion, but I'm confident in it!)  I've hauled a couple dozen elk, a moose, many dozens of deer (mulie and whitetail), and a few antelope and I can say with no hesitation that getting a good pack and hauling it out on your back is much easier and more efficient than using a cart.  I watched three grown men trying to haul an elk off a mountain on a cart one time and it hurt just watching them trying to lug that thing over and around the rocks, trees, cracks, and bumps.  Now way!  

31 minutes ago, BarrieGriffith said:

See this article https://under-the-open-sky.com/best-deer-cart/. There's the list of 10 best big game carts to help you find out which item is reliable to buy

Thanks Bartolomew for the tip. But, if you read it I had said that I already did buy one for our hunting party 6 years ago. If you look at the post date! ;)