• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Choosing a portable

macminn

Question

I'm ready to get my own portable house. I have two kids, my wife likes to fish as well. I'm 6' 1" tall and am thinking I'd like one of the taller ones, say the Clam 6800 so I can stand up in it and don't have to go outside to do so.
I understand the pull over types are more flexible, easier to move, etc.
What would you do?

12 answers to this question

The only thing I have to say about those big portables is be careful on a windy day. I have a 6x8 shoremaster I absolutly love fishing in it but I hate setting it up and taking it down. If it is windy it will blow all over the place. Plus if you ever want to go by yourself they are a pain in the a@# to set up. Look at the larger Otters. If I had it to do over again that is what I would have went with.

iffwalleyes,
Good points, one question I have though is about the weight. If I do go out just by myself, what do those things weigh, say the 6800 or speed shack XL or the otter resorter?
Can I get them into my pickup after my arms ar aching from pulling up so many fish?

I have the speedshack XL and made a sled from snow skiis to pull it on. It's not too bad load by myself. I did add a handle on both ends and also on the side for better grip. I love the shack. I have three young boys and took them out the other night and caught some 10" gills. Plenty of room and easy set up. I've had it for 5 years and it still looks like the day I bought it.

Look at the Clam 1060. It is very easy to set up, takes a few more minutes to snap in the poles but not that long. My kids are 4&6 so I put it up and take it down alone. When packed up it's only 32" x 60" x 10" and weighs 82 lbs. It's not the best if you plan on pulling with a machine. We have fished 2 adults and 3 kids with no problem. Hope this helps.

Brent

Im 6-3 and both my suitcase style are 6' tall, I dont mind. they are the trophy brand and setup is litteraly seconds, no poles to screw with, they quit making them for what ever reason. but if your interested in a suitcase type, I prefer one that has no poles to deal with.IMO, you can be just as mobile with these as the flip ups. just step off your holes and pre drill the areas. they tow good too. but for long hauls put on a sled.

I have a Clam 5600, which is adequate for me at 6' 4". The 6800 is virtually the same on a larger scale. The Clam 1060 is more of a tent with a partial floor. I don't have any problem setting up in wind that you wouldn't have with any other portable. I really like the materials they use. I have a Clam Junior that is 12 years old and has seen a lot of use over the years. Especially years like this where yo have to do alot of walking out. They are very durable.

Wind is going to be a factor with any portable. Many people I know including myself have come up with ingenious ways to anchor what otherwise would become a parasail. You seem to have your mind set on a portable so maybe we should share some ideas on how to keep them on the ice. On burntside last weekend I watched many an angler fighting a 25mph wind. My shack out there weighs in at a light 500+. I'm going nowhere.

Wind is not a problem for me,
I just pack my Cordless Drill with a 9/16" Socket on it. I have 2 (and some extra if you loose one)3/8" Pole Barn Screws 8" Long. They drive in 6" or so in about 20 Seconds (Maybe 30). I have some fender washers on them and drive them in about 9"-12" wider then the handles on the portable. That way it pulls at an angle. You just use loop a 24" bungy strap strap through the handles and hook both ends back around the screws. It doesn't budge!!!!!
Several times we had or wanted to crash camp in a hurry so I just left them and I'm out a whole $2.00, Once I just marked our spot as a way point on my GPS and went back the next weekend and just unscrewed them. I haven't had to charge my battery on my drill yet this year, roughly 30 times out so far.
Also once set up auger a few holes right next to the sled slash plastic bottom and auger up enough water to flood the area, it freezes down the sled but is not an issue to break loose at all when time to leave in fact I will go out and unscrew the anchors I put in originally once it is froze down good. It takes an hour tops...

If you are looking for a 6800 check out the "Used Items Forum".

S.D.

[This message has been edited by S.D. Ice Angular (edited 01-22-2003).]

[This message has been edited by S.D. Ice Angular (edited 01-22-2003).]

Macminn
Take a look at the Fish Trap Voyager. It's a pullover type, but has a zippered front as well. It fits 3 comfortably and you can stand up in it. The only problem is finding one. By this time of year they are gone at most retailers. The Fish Trap Guide is also nice, but smaller and you can't stand in it.
Good luck!!

I just purchased the Frabill Quick Shak Cub. That is only 4x6, but they make the XL model which is quite a bit larger. It's everything that is advertised-set up in less than a minute and all self contained, so wind won't be too big of an issue.

The large local sporting goods store- G@nd@r Mnt. has them on sale right now at $369- a good price. Check it out they are quite impressive.

Gander Mtn in Fridley has the Voyager, looked like a pallet full (6?), Give them a call on the price if interested. Their ice fishing shacks are all reduced for the end of season purge. I just picked up a Fish Trap guide today at lunch over there. I would think the voyager or similar sized pull over could fish 4 with one person on the ice possibly? They are a little heavier 80 pounds or so for most of them.

Portabilty I would go with the flip style. I have a shappell 4000 when my 4 year old wants to go and we plan on setting up over some bluegill action.