• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Elison Bay... Gills Rock.. to Washington Island

It's that time of year again and I'm starting the boat prep, mind prep... You name it..

Looking back to last year.. I typically fish on the Green Bay side of Door Co. and last year was the exception. I know people that have guided that area for over 30 years and never saw the Salmon not make the corner, until then. We did salvage our trip by fishing out of Rallys and Moonlight bay but what a weird year.. I know if we wouldve gone out far we couldve done better but were limited to fishing close since we have a smaller boat..

smile Now this year is looking much better.... Our contact, who fishes out of Elison Bay, says fishing is as good as he has seen it in since the salmon recovery started. He has had multiple trips with multiple hook ups at the same time.. He says the fish are running bigger this year, with an example of the other night he boated 5, by himself, with the smallest weighing at 15 lbs... He then tells us that our timing should be perfect and the we should expect some "big" fish this year.. talking the 25+ lb range and then if we care, he has been starting to catch some decent browns.. grin

This I like to hear and I'm sure the rest of you who fish the same areas we do like to hear this also... crazy I'm now counting the seconds till we reach Gills Rock on July 14th... I'll try to keep occupied till then with boat and tackle maintenance... sounds like were going to need all of our gear up to the highest standards this year...

Now we'll all hope that Mother Nature will cooperate....

wink

Great report.. Thanks for the update.

We also STRUGGLED at Gills last year but managed to salvage some fish at Baileys Harbor.

We are heading out there this weekend an I think we may head back to bailey's.

Sound like they're running big this year!!

It is with great anticipation that I am also readying my gear for the trip over. I haven't fished out of Baileys or Ellison bay but have fished off of Gills, around Washington island and even all the way over to Rock island and done well. Seems like bigger fish out that way then what we tend to pull in Keewaunee and Algoma. The early bite this year has been great from what I understand and I can hardly wait to get over there and try it for myself. I am making the run with my dad and 10 y.o son. His first trip for salmon.

Tunrevir~