• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sitka Area in mid-August - seeking some advice

I have a bit of a goofy situation happening in August. A family member has paid for 6 of us to spend a week on a boat out of Sitka. In doing some research, I've learned that boat is serviceable, but certainly not luxurious...it is marketed to tourism, but not a really cruise boat, more of a work boat. It sounds like fishing is not a big part of the experience the captain offers, but he has a few rods around and people can jig off the boat if they wish, can fish inland streams when we are visiting them, and maybe use the skiff to troll if we have time. The skiff doesn't have any downriggers or anything like that. So, it sounds like I can do some fishing on my own when we have time.

I am not picky, but I'd a salmon if possible. Inland rivers for trout would also be fun. I don't think I have enough money to hire a charter or guide, plus going that route would mean having to rendezvous somewhere, and who knows how that would work. I am a very experienced angler, but not a fly rodder at all.

I have gotten only a minimal response to my requests for more information on fishing. It was mentioned that trolling surface streamers at a brisk pace can be good for coho (silvers?). Is there a lure I can use on spinning/baitcasting gear that would be good for Coho? Is speed trolling really the way to go? Is it worth it to try deeper? I can bring some decent trolling rods and dipsy divers and jet divers (they dive 30 to 40 feet). Somebody mentioned "mooching." This is jigging with herring for salmon? Anyone have any tips there (equipment used)?

What type of water am I looking for when fishing salmon? Shallow, deep, structure?

Inland streams...Are waders a must? I have some, but they'd take a big portion of my luggage.

Any other thoughts, advice, guidance... articles to read? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. I hate to get all the licenses and stamps if catching something on my own isn't really realistic.

Thanks! Feel free to PM me if you wish.

Call the Sport Fish Division, Alaska Dept of Fish and Game and ask for the Sitka area biologists number. Or just ask for brochures etc. There are lots of areas to fish around Sitka but to be honest it sounds as though your situation is not going to lend itself to easy success. Fish stream mouths if you can for D.Varden and known Coho streams with large Mepps lures. Local folks will clue you to salmon fishing in the salt water. Trolling is easiest and you do not need downriggers to do it.

Fishing for bottom fish is a kick and your skipper probably will know a halibut hole or two.

Be careful on the beaches and along any streams that time of season because bears will be around. Don't get your diapers in a knot over them-just be aware they may pop up from time to time. Just slowly move away. And for Gods sake don't think you gotta wander around with a 12-pound magnum pistol on your hip.

Relax, have fun. You are going to be in some gorgeous wild country....like something you have likely never seen.