• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

auxillary truck lights

Question

I'm looking to install a pair of lights under my bumber on my truck. I used to have an old ranger and without question I had everything wired off the battery instead of the fuse box. Now I have a brand new chevy 1500 and i would like to do things the correct way. How does a guy go about connecting to the 12 volt power? Anyone have a similar set up?

7 answers to this question

If you want to be able to turn them off just run a wire to the cab and to a switch. Then run a wire from you fuse panel to the switch. You can always put in a inline fuse if your worried about shorting out. Pretty simple to do. Shouldnt affect your pickups computer.

theres nothing wrong with running off the battery i run with alot of 4 wheeling clubs and thats the way alot oif pros do it. just remember an inline fuse! thats all you need and you can turn them on with out the key.

You should have extra shunts open on the fuse panel. The wireing job is not too complicate, but be sure and add a relay or you will regret it latter.

Some links that have tips you may find handy.

www.piaa.com

http://lightlens.net/foglights.htm

www.wireconnections.com/truck-lite.html

Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

ed-logo.jpg

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 01-22-2003).]