• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Roll Call - spring salmon run!!!

Well we are getting to about that time of year again. Who is going to make it up to god's country this spring for any of the salmon runs? I will be headed up June 16th - 24th. Will be hitting Wolverine creek again for the sockeye and then either the Deshka or Little Susitna for some kings. Probably will make our way to the Talkeetna again for one day of kings. Also will be going out of Seward for halibut one day.

Who else is going? What are your plans? Sherpa??

That sounds awesome JWmiller. You really pack a lot into your AK trips. I think you do more in a trip up there then I do in 2 or 3. I'm thinking about skipping this year, but might do something like fivebucks is thinking. I'm trying to save money so I can upgrade some things in the boat. Hope you guys have awesome trips.

Jake, you should get my number from Jarrid and hit us up for some St louis river action.

You are right Sherpa, we pack as much as possible into our trips. I just saw on the news last night that just outside of Seward, they are starting to see tons of debris show up on shore from the Japanese tsunami. Pretty crazy stuff. Being that we are going out of Seward for halibut, I will probably get to see some of it first hand... kind of interesting.

Sherpa, I sent Jarrid a text this morning to get your number. I will be hitting Island Lake a lot over hte next week, doing some pre-fishing for the ALS tournament next weekend. After that, lets hit the river ASAP

if any one is going to be around the birchwood or chugiak area (30 minutes north of los anchorage) shoot me a pm I will be around doing fishing all summer. And the debris is ending up on montague island lots of beach combers out looking for stuff.

Just got back tonight with 170 lbs of halibut, sockeye, yellow eyes and black rockfish.. the salmon were easily caught on mcdonald beach in seward...son and I caught our limit of very nice fish Tuesday and Thursday also a flounder to boot. We did try the russian river where it meets the Kenai near cooper landing and some were catching but tougher for us....rivers were really running with warm temps and snow melt. I think susitna was closed....check ahead....Halibut in Seward were biting, we got our limit and saw one weighed at 185 lbs...a true beast

The late run of Reds on the Kenai is projected to be a monster run. Last year they had 1.5 million and only once in last 10 years did they barely go over 2 million. This year it is projected to be 4 million per an email from Soldotna Fish and Game. I know runs can turn bust, happened to me on the Alagnak last summer, but this could be one of those to remember. I NEED a cheap airline ticket. I told the wife that if I can fly there for $500 I am going next week and staying with friends. Let's hope for a good fire sale very soon.

Fire Sale happened for me. I was able to beg and grovel some of my wife's frequent flyer miles so I am heading up on Tuesday after work. I sure hope the run is close to the projections. Now I just gotta get a good price on a car rental. My lodging in Seward will be the price of some meals and beers so FISH ON!!!!!!! grin

idk where your going to be fishing reds while staying in seward but i will be down in sterling with a duck hunting buddy from mn in sterling/soldotna slayin reds this comming weekend

Staying in Seward but will be driving back and forth to the Kenai. Talked to my buddy yesterday and he has some friends just coming in that have a place rented for a couple of days closer to the fishing so might get to jump in on that also instead of driving. Might chase some silvers out past the bay in my buddies boat if the crappy weather you guys are having breaks. 20,000 reds past the sonar on Saturday so they are a coming.

120,000 reds rushed the river on sunday. i will be slinging fish outta the water all weekend! get my 35 dip netting and hopefully they up the limit to 6 on the kenai where i can get another 24. families will be happy

I saw the 120k - boy am I pumped. My fly rod is really itching to floss some reds again. I fly out at 5:15 today and will be fishing tomorrow morning. I wonder how soon they might increase it to 6 fish. I hope by Friday so I can pack up more than the 15 fish my 5 days of fishing will get me. It's amazing how many people are already trying to hit me up with some salmon. I could give all 15 away already - but I won't. FISH ON crazy