• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lazer Heater

Fourplay

Question

I have a 10,000 Btu Lazer heater in my 6x6 permanent fishhouse. I just got this house this year. The heater doesn't keep the house very warm so I'm wondering if it's working right. My Mr. heater is supposed to be 9000 Btu's on low and it gets to hot with that so why won't my Lazer heater warm the house up. Any ideas?

11 answers to this question

Never used a Lazer heater, but here are a couple things to note:

Your Mr. Heater Buddy puts out 9,000 btus on high, not on low, unless you're talking about a model I've not heard of.

A 10,000 btu heater should heat a permanent that size OK, if it has any insulation at all and is fairly tight, but it would take awhile to warm it up and you wouldn't be fishing in your shirtsleeves.

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 01-21-2003).]

10,000 btu's should be more than enough to heat your house. I believe the Lazer heater is sold by Strikemaster. I would give them a call and see what they have to say. They are very good to work with and have good customer service. Good luck!

---------

Fishn'Lady

I believe the Mr. Heater is the sunflower style. How long have you used the Mr. Heater. You may have it malfunctioning. Mine tends to run on only one Temp.

Honestly I don't think that the 9000 will keep you constantly warm I've had to use a lantern and the small (pre-buddy) Mr. heater to keep my 3x5 warm. Jsut my past experience.

My Mr Heater sunflower head gets my house so hot it about cooks you out of there on low. That's a 1 year old Mr. Heater and works great. My lazer heater won't even keep the holes open over night. I end up redrilling them everyday and my house is banked very well. Probably just need a bigger heater I guess. Just figured 10,000 should be enough for that small of a house.

Fourplay,

I hear what you're saying sir. From the sounds of it, your heater isn't working properly. I, as you have said, run a Mr. Heater cooker on low in a house with some big tears in the canvas, and even on breezy days it can get pretty warm in there, even with the cooker set on low, or the 9,000BTU setting.

So, theoretically, @ 10,000 BTU's, you should be roasting pretty toasty. Maybe try an exchange on the unit, or like Lady' said, give the manufacturer a call and ask them.

Whichever way, I hope it works out for you.

"sought da' fish?"

I also have been having the same problem. I have the 20,000 btu unit and a 8x8 house that is insulated well and banked. I am going to try running a small fan to circulate the air as someone else suggested on this message board.

i have the 20,000 btu lazer heater and mine heated my 8x8 fish house really well on low and my house wasnt well insulated. there might be something wrong with the heater.

I too have the 20000 btu and have problems, It seems to be cold,(6x8) and fumes about drive ya nuts. I have called and talked to them about it and they said the punched out spot on the back may be bent closed, checked that and found it to be only open 1/8" corrected that, still fumes, and not getting very warm, decided to shorten the length of stovepipe outside to 6" from 12" thinking that the cold was stoping flow?? nothing has helped. this unit has a 1 1/4"-1 1/2" opening on an elbow fitting for the burner. by the sounds of it others are having problems with the stikemaster heaters, (over rated btu's?!) 20000 should be great plenty for 6x8.

I did call strikemaster and was told that my particular heater just doesn't get very hot and as long as the flame is blue there's nothing I can do. I think the heater should have a 3000 btu rating instead of 10000 because it puts out about as much heat as my 3000 btu coleman blackcat.