Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BLACKJACK

Buddy Heater Problem

15 posts in this topic

Having a problem with my Buddy heater. The 1lb cylinder ran out Sunday night when I was leaving, ok good timing. Put a new cyinder on at home, Buddy won't light, getting spark, no lighty. Took tank off, tried different new tank. Still no lighty. Noticed that I'm getting lots of propane vapor coming out as I screw the cylinder on and off, never noticed that before... Took the heater in the house last night to thaw out. Tried it again this morning in the garage, put the tank on, sparks ok but no light. Its not getting fuel for some reason.

Has anybody else encountered this problem?

Blackjack,
I had the same problem on mine. I can't exactly describe to you where the connection is since mine was stolen on Sunday. There is a connection for the thermal coupler on one of the sides. You don't need to take the heater apart to see it, just look from the bottom side. On mine, it tipped off my sled and the connection came apart. It is kind of tricky to reach, but I just used a hook extracter to push it back on. The connection does not allow the thermal coupler to get heated up for some reason. Sorry I couldn't be more descriptive, but you should be able to see the problem by looking from the bottom side. Good luck.

If it is not the thermal coupler, make sure the canister is threaded on straight. I know it sounds simple but I am sure I am not the only one who has not threaded a canister on perfectly straight. It won't lite if it is not on straight and you will smell gas. Scott Steil

I had to make a thin grommet to place in the female end of my extensioin hose, it was pushing the valve seat so far it wouldn't pass gas....to the heater

Hate to sound dumb, but what is the thermal coupler? I have the parts list from the book in front of me and its not listed?? Is that the igniter? And I will check the threading, the last few times that I've put on the cylinder it has looked crooked but I figured that that I must have bent the connection by bumping the cylinder. If the threads are shot, then what??! I'm bummed, I kind of liked this heater, no headaches like my other heaters, plus I need it Thursday!!

good old fashion mr.heater wink.gifive read alot of forms from guys getting headachs from there buddy heater in other ways blowing out not enough heat now this.

I think if the problem was the thermal coupler, the pilot would light but the fire would go out when you stopped pushing it in. Is the connection you're talking about the pilot light? It seems to me that I had a problem like this, once. This to sounds dumb but it happens to me on the ventless in my big house too. It's like when it runs out of gas it takes forever for the propane to push back through the lines. I would go some place very quiet so that you can hear whether or not the propane is coming out when the button is pushed in. If you can hear it, let it push air through until you can smell the gas. If you can smell and hear the gas, let the air clear and then try and light it. I have been just about convinced more than once that something was wrong, only to have to let it bleed out a little more.

I'm with Scott on this one. Those 1 lb'ers can be very hard to thread on correctly. I've noticed if you can see any of the threads on the tank, it is not seated properly and will not allow any gas to the heater.

------------------
Paul
PWaldow123@aol.com

I had a problem with my buddy heater similar to yours. I doubt it is the same issue. I left my heater in the garage in the summer and a spider or some kind of in insect had found its way into the pipe and spun a web. Anyways there was something in the tube that was restricting the flow of gas to the burner. I got it cleaned out and it now works fine.
I have an 11# tank for my buddy and it works slick. Those 1 lb tanks freeze up and get frosty. It seemed like I only got half of a pound use. Then when I would take the tank off and the canister's valve would be frozen open and the other half would slowly leak out.

I am on my second year with my buddy and I have never had a problem with it other then the front grate popping off. I have to say that I use it in a suitcase style house and not a pull over type.
I am also going to hook the hose up and run it off a bigger tank as well. Mine is stored in doors all the time, not sure if that matters at all.

I just picked up one of these on sale. Haven't opened the box yet, and wondering if I should buy something else. I'm heating a Clam 6800 portable.
Any suggestions on what heater I should use?

Macminn,
I hope I'm not too late. I have a Clam 6800 and I also had a Buddy Heater(Had because I didn't lock my truck for 3 hours on the lake, but that's another story) The reason I left the Buddy in the truck was that it is not nearly enough in these temps. It works fine until the temp drops below 20 deg. on a calm day or 30 deg if it is windy. I love the setup on the Buddy, but it should be another 4,000 to 5,000 btu's. Hopefully Mr.Heater will figure that out and make one. But I would say don't open the box and get something with at least 14,000 btu's for that size house. The sunflower style heaters work great and they are cheaper, but you have to watch them that you don't burn your jacket or fishing line. There is not an O2 problem with them in the 6800 because there always seems to be a little air getting in. Good luck and hope I was a little help. Really like the Buddy, but not enough for the Clam 6800!!