• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gogebic Reports

Hi everyone. How has the fishing been up on Lake Gogebic? The Navy is moving me cross country again this summer, so I am taking a week of leave to spend on Gogebic. I am renting a house on the west side of the lake just south of the state park. It has been a couple years since I have been up there and I cant wait to get back. I will be up there from June 19-27. Any pointers on where to look for the walleye or perch would be greatly appreciated. Also, I am thinking of getting a guide for the first or second day of the trip to show me the lake. Do any of you have any suggestions. Thanks in advance for any help.

Tom,

I have not been out yet, but I know many that have been. Typically LG early season, tons of fish in the 10-14 inch range. The first 2 weeks of the season it is pretty automatic either fishing from shore or boat that you will bring home a few eaters.

I realize LG has always had a bad rap for some reason or another, but it is really turning into a nice walleye fishery. Fish in the low 20's are becoming pretty common, 5 years ago they were not. I wish there was a slot, so the biggers are let go but it is what it is right now. I will tell you there is no shortage of eyeballs in that lake.

As for perch I don't touch them in the summer, that is what winter is for:)... If you dotn already know there are new limits on perch as of this spring. Looking for a guide, you most likely dont need one but if you do a quick search will only pull up 2-3 that I know of.

In late June, toss out some planner boards or walleye board and head right down the middle.

Perch King,

Thanks for the reply. I was up there two years ago, over memorial day, and was amazed at how good the walleye fishing was. I cant wait to get up there and spend a whole week on the water. I will have to get some boards and try trolling the deep flats. Thanks again for the advice.

Great to see that someone is using this board, a great resourse that gets ignored. Good people in contact with good people! Perch King- keep up the good work. I use the MN Board all the time and it has grown, hope this happens with the MI Forum! The good people of the UP need to get going and communicate with those who love and respect the area, life is too short!

GE -From Charlevoix

First time open water fishing Gogebic since I was a wee lad (about 15 years ago). Went up Friday night, fished for a few hours right at dark. Hooked a few fish, but couldn't get anything in the boat.

Had a tough time picking a location to target, but worse than that, there was a mayfly, and some other winged critter, hatch in full swing. Decided not to fight the hatch and headed further north to do some fishing in the Keweenaw. Fishing improved, with quite a few bass (largemouth and smallmouth), as well as pike and perch.

Always good to get back up to the UP. Definitely my favorite place to be.

Good Luck.

Yup know exactly what bug you are talking about but I also don't have a name for it. Typically this time of year you should have no problems hooking into lots of fish, but that is in a typical year. Basically the whole month of June the successful anglers have been running cranks right down the middle in 20-30fow with decent success.

Got up to Gogebic this weekend. Fished all day Friday, and for just a little bit Saturday morning.

Friday I fished the flats, with a bottom bouncer and crawler, and got into a few fish. Picked up 8 walleye and one smallmouth. Although it was sunny, there was a perfect drifting wind, and a good chop to break the light up a little. Picked up one of the walleyes fishing shallow weeds on the north end with a slip bobber in the evening.

Saturday morning was a different story, HOT, HOT sun and not a whisper of wind. Fished for just an hour or two, and only caught one dinky walleye.

Saw quite a few others catching fishing while I was out there. Overall it seemed like a productive weekend from what I saw.

yeah cru, I was out all weekend the walleye have moved back to the deeper drops off 10-20 feet, there biting on leaches or minnows. The bass are about to spawn water was round 53- 57 close to shore. as usual gogebic was rougher than a sandpaper silly-me wipe so fishing was not the easiest. Lots of Juvinile walleye caught, the indians could take the 10" next year not the 24" fish

I on the lake right now the east shore is brutal everything that tries to make it on the ice is stuck. Knowing that we entered from the and are fishing the west side. Only iced one decent perch a few walley and some white fish. I will keep u posted

6plus inches of snow last night and freezing rain are the current conditions. We caught 13 fish yesterday but only 3 perch. So far this morning we are marking our fair share but only iced one eye. Wigglers froze in the cooler last night which really doesn't help. I keep telling myself, I only need that one fish today. There has been rounders of a 2.7 and a 2.2 weighed in

In all my life i have never caught a white fish on LG, is it common to catch these for you ?

I did hear conditions were not ideal for any kind of travel, all that snow now heat. Cant wait to hear about the rest of your day

It was a fun day on the ice with Northlander. I am sure he will chime in when he gets home tomorrow. He also caught some dandies, we tossed back the ones that didnt have a chance at winning but were to big to eat, but also kept a few each for a meal.

I have love hate relationship with that lake, some days you can figure it out and some days you truly feel like a beginner. The first day Northlander I fished, we primarily caught eyes and whitefish in a area that typically produce a good number of good crappie/perch area.

The lake is very large and driving out in a complete whiteout this morning, I had my mind made up on this little break between two mud flats. But the wise Northlander, thought it may be to crowded so we headed out to no-mans land. Closest shack was about a mile away, I never questioned the area but never fished that area. From 8am to 1ish we pretty much had marks on a consistent basis, picking up a few here and a few there. I think I got a text around 10ish that was titled "Fatty", yup a text from Northlander with a impressive 1lb 15. We figured we would sit and wait, I had contacts N-S-E-W of me and they weren't doing any better than we were doing. All in all a good day on the ice, cant wait until next year...

Next year is the 10 year anniversary of this tourney and Gus promised it will be one to remember.

Well it was a real learning experience for me. I have never dead sticked so much in my life. Its a very boring way to fish but like they say. When your in Rome do as the Romans do. It did work and I cant believe how finicky/skittish those perch are. They will sit and look at a bait for minutes and then when you move it just a tad they leave. I did however catch perch on jigging plastics but it was not nearly as effective. My advice to new people to LG is to get good fresh bait and be ready for long hours on the ice with little action but when you get action it could be the biggest Perch of your life. I caught the 3 biggest perch of my life thanks to Greg.

Ill be back to this event as long as I can physically make it. I want my 1st 15"er. My 14.50"er sure had my heart beat up.

Thanks a lot to Greg and Rick for a great weekend. You guys are good people.

Ill see about pics later.