Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jt24

False readings??

9 posts in this topic

Was out yesterday and my vex was giving my a false bottom? I was in about 20' on a break and i could not see my jig or fish 2 feet up or less. At first i thought it was fish but soon realized that it wasnt. I turned the gain down and you could clearly see the bottom and what ever else 2' up. showed up really red like a fish and yellow and green right below. Turn up the gain and it was all red. I dont think it was weeds because of where i was fishing. Any info would help me to understand! Kind of a helpless feeling when your used to seeing everything!

Sounds like a stick, brush, junk or some another fixed object near the edge of the cone 2' off bottom. I see these type readings all the time on rivers.

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

ed-logo.jpg

You weren't on a real sharp break were you? I've have a simuliar reading on Cass Lake when fishing very sharp breaks. One side of the cone might be reading 21' while the other side is reading 17'. Results in a fuzzy/cluttered reading of the bottom.

If the break was that sharp you would get a dead spot in the cone.

You would see the jig hit the bottom on the Vex yet it would still fall beyond the mark. That is a sure sign of a dead spot.

I've had this happen with my 9 degree ducer and it goes away when I wipe the bottom of my ducer with my hand or a rag...

------------------
Chells

The exact thing happened to me on a gravel pit the other day. The problem was the entire pit was on a break. I got two readings for the bottom and a ton of clutter in between when I knew there wasn't brush down there. Double Bottom is what you have since the break is sharp and one side of your cone is much higher than the opposite side.

Icehawk
Ya that was me and yes it is a really steep drop. I thought that it might have been the problem but wasnt real sure. So where is a good spot on koronis? That was my first time out there and with the uncertain ice i didnt really feel like just driving where ever!

JT24; If you were on koronis the other night like I think you were. The reef you were fishing off third island has alot of rocks and is a real steep dropoff. This might of had some kind of effect on the way you could read your jig on your vexilar.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• That little doe is a sweetheart. Reminds me why I gave up hunting. But I did it for more than six decades from MN to MT to AK and Canada. Before somebody jumps in with a snide  comment, I don't care if YOU do it but it is just not for me any more. Carry on. Nice pix....couple nice looking bucks.
    • I fish for monster bass too. But yeah, when one is the master of walleyes one tends to be an elitist... 
    • I agree; stay away from the extended warranty.  If my dealership (Village Chevrolet) won't honor the original warranty, what makes you think they will honor an extended warranty?  This problem was discovered well before my warranty ran out and they still treated me like an ugly sister...
    • Knock yourself out. IMO, pro basketball is a terrible sport.         -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------           Here's what they think of the Gophers in Iowa.....    
    • Wait till they lose the game.....  
    • You two must be elitist walleye guys. 
    • I can't say I'm much in agreement with Gary Johnson on this issue and I can admit it. I will say however that it makes more sense than the deal Pence struck with Carrier.   1. The carrier deal handed away state money while still being a net LOSS of jobs in that state. Johnson's program enticed new business into his state and resulted in a net GAIN of jobs and probably tourism dollars as well.  2. I think these types of deals should be handled as locally as possible. It's called representative government. Maybe it makes sense in the New Mexico deal that it be handled at the state level since it probably effects the state as a whole at least to some degree but I don't know. The Indiana deal should have been handled locally, especially if any of the tax cuts promised were property taxes. Those benefit communities at a more local level and the jobs saved benefit communities at a more local level. The state government possibly should not be handling these things but the Federal Government most assuredly should not be involved in these deals.  3. I'm pretty sure that the threat of interference with federal contracts had much more to do with the Carrier deal anyway so why did they give Carrier any tax breaks? I thought Trump was a tough guy and a strong armer? In the New Mexico deal, tax cuts are about the only leverage someone would have to bring that extra revenue and jobs into the state.   I'll say it again, I'm really not in favor of the government picking winners and losers. I do think the Pence deal is something that happens every day but the only difference is it happens at a local level and you don't have a blow hard President-elect taking credit for it normally. Time will tell whether it was a good deal or if the rest of the manufacturing community will hold the Government for ransom now like every professional sports franchise does these days.    Gary Johnson is in favor of replacing the current Tax code with a 'Fair Tax" system.
    • I think Purple means, our BullHeads!
    • I replaced my transducer on my  fl 18 with a proview  last winter very pleased with it. I thought my vexilar was going bad it was not picking up my hook anymore.  Replaced my transducer with a new proview worked great last spring crappie fishing. Replacing the transducer on my fl 12 with a proview this week.
  • Our Sponsors