• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

False readings??

jt24

Question

Was out yesterday and my vex was giving my a false bottom? I was in about 20' on a break and i could not see my jig or fish 2 feet up or less. At first i thought it was fish but soon realized that it wasnt. I turned the gain down and you could clearly see the bottom and what ever else 2' up. showed up really red like a fish and yellow and green right below. Turn up the gain and it was all red. I dont think it was weeds because of where i was fishing. Any info would help me to understand! Kind of a helpless feeling when your used to seeing everything!

8 answers to this question

Sounds like a stick, brush, junk or some another fixed object near the edge of the cone 2' off bottom. I see these type readings all the time on rivers.

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

ed-logo.jpg

You weren't on a real sharp break were you? I've have a simuliar reading on Cass Lake when fishing very sharp breaks. One side of the cone might be reading 21' while the other side is reading 17'. Results in a fuzzy/cluttered reading of the bottom.

If the break was that sharp you would get a dead spot in the cone.

You would see the jig hit the bottom on the Vex yet it would still fall beyond the mark. That is a sure sign of a dead spot.

The exact thing happened to me on a gravel pit the other day. The problem was the entire pit was on a break. I got two readings for the bottom and a ton of clutter in between when I knew there wasn't brush down there. Double Bottom is what you have since the break is sharp and one side of your cone is much higher than the opposite side.

Icehawk
Ya that was me and yes it is a really steep drop. I thought that it might have been the problem but wasnt real sure. So where is a good spot on koronis? That was my first time out there and with the uncertain ice i didnt really feel like just driving where ever!

JT24; If you were on koronis the other night like I think you were. The reef you were fishing off third island has alot of rocks and is a real steep dropoff. This might of had some kind of effect on the way you could read your jig on your vexilar.