• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2012 Fish House Build

Lip_Ripper Guy

Well, here we go! Back by popular demand, I'll be posting the day by day progress/process of building the new fish house.

I'm pretty much finished with all the planning details, and buying of materials. The few details left need to wait until my frame is complete.

Here are some of the details:

Frame-Ice Assault 8'x20' w/3' V front. This will be fully powder coated, hydraulic, with tandem axles. I have a wireless remote setup for this, so it'll go up and down in 10 seconds with a key chain remote.

Wall & Roof Framing-1"x2" 18 gauge steel tube. This lightweight steel is roughly the same weight as wood, but has the advantage of being a lot stronger, and perfectly straight. A huge benefit when it comes time to installing siding. Another benefit is that rather than clamping aluminum sheets and waiting for glue to dry, I'll have instant adhesion from aluminum siding to the metal studs. Siding will be a one day project rather than 4-5.

Roof-I've done rubber in the past, this one will be a one piece aluminum. The weight savings over wood & rubber is about 300 pounds.

Exterior-Smooth aluminum Construction Orange color with diamond plate.

Insulation-Floor and Roof will be spray foam for sure. I am debating on board foam for the walls, to help cut down on the "ripples" caused by the hot spray foam rapidly expanding the aluminum siding.

Interior-The walls and ceiling will be knotty pine, cabinets and trim will be cedar.

Weight-I am targeting 4500#, but it's looking like it could end up a touch under.

Here is the floor plan:

Layout.jpg

And a couple 3D shots:

PassengerExterior.jpg

PassengerExterior2.jpg

DriversExterior.jpg

And the interior:

RearWindow.jpg

The frame should be done around June 1st. Stay tuned!

Subscribed!

Have you considered in floor heat? I know a guy with the relatively the same size house that swears by it. Might end up over your target weight adding luxury heating thou.

In floor heat could have some potential, but I haven't really looked in to it. Initial thought is that you may have to do a sandwich style floor, which would be pretty heavy. It would also have a really slow recovery time, similar to radiant systems in houses. On a house that the heat could be left on 24/7, it could be the way to go.

4fad9c22.jpg

While I'm waiting I've been messing around with a Kreg Jig and building test cabinets to see if I'll be able to do my own in this new house. I'm not much of a woodworker (at all), but this Kreg Jig makes things easy. As long as my cuts are good, the jig and clamps pretty much take care of the rest.

7eb01cc8.jpg

I was originally going to put two doors on this one, but decided to do a single after the box was already built. It turned out pretty decent, but I'll need a little better saw work on the real ones.

I believe I have the master system.....
+1000!!!

Love mine. The ability to take the "jig" out and clamp it to any workspace is super nice. I dont use mine nearly enough, but its simple to use and the joints are strong. I believe mine was around $150 but that was a few years ago so memory fades.

MJ - whatever happened to the house last season? I remember reading that you purchased one but it kept getting delayed. Have been interested to hear what happened. Thanks.

Had a few hiccups but I did end up getting it. Ended up getting it to late to get it done for last season.