• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What birds have you see in your backyard this spring?

Hey birders, lets list all the birds we have had the enjoyment of witnessing in our own backyard this spring.

Here is my short list: Tree, House,White Crowned, Chipping and Harris Sparrows, Grackles, House Finches, Gold Finches, Mourning Doves, and Cardinals. Yep, pretty short list so far.

Next?

When something new shows up, add it in as a new reply.

My list so far this spring that have landed in the yard:

Robins, Cardinals, Blue Jays, Crows, House finches, Purple Finches, Gold Finches, Harris Sparrows, Chipping Sparrows, Common Redpolls, Yellow Rumped Warblers, White Throated Sparrows, Cedar Waxwings, Red Bellied, Pileated, Hairy, Downy Woodpeckers, Mourning Doves, Blue Birds, Fox Sparrows, Red Winged Black Birds, Nuthatches, Black Capped Chickadees, Juncos, Baltimore Orioles, Northern Flickers, Great Blue Herons, Sandhill Cranes, Mallards, Geese, Pheasants, Turkeys.

Seen a few different ones in the air but I won’t count them grin

I may have a slight advantage over the normal "yard". I live on 20 acres that I consider my yard, for lack of a better term. We have a wild grass field with a couple of swamps in the "font yard" with woods and a lake in the "back yard". We bought the house last fall so it's been an extremely exciting spring so far!

Robins, Blue Jays, Crows, House finches, Purple Finches, Gold Finches, Chipping Sparrows, Common Redpolls, Yellow Rumped Warblers, White Throated Sparrows, Red Bellied, Pileated, Hairy, Downy Woodpeckers, Mourning Doves, Blue Birds, Fox Sparrows, Red Winged Black Birds, White-breasted Nuthatches, Black Capped Chickadees, Juncos, Northern Flickers, Turkeys, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Black & White Warbler, starling, Pine Siskins.

I copied MootScoots list and then added and removed a few.

27 in my list. I was surprised it was that many.

Yeah MootScoot, I'd say you do have an unfair advantage, you lucky dog. smile

Leeken, what kind of acreage are you situated on? I've never seen a Black & White Warbler.

I can now add a chickadee to my list, that just showed up as it started to rain.

I only have an acre outside of Detroit Lakes, but behind the house is about 10 acres of oaks and across the street is 40 acres of hay. 200 hundred yards north and 300 yards south are lakes. We have only lived here 9 months. I'm thinking that we are in a nice spot to attract a good variety.

The black & white was a first for me. I only saw it once on Wednesday 5/2.

Robins, Cardinals, Blue Jays, Crows, House finches, Purple Finches, Gold Finches, Harris Sparrows, Chipping Sparrows, House Sparrows, Yellow Rumped Warblers, White Throated Sparrows, Red Bellied, Pileated, Hairy, Downy, Yellow Bellied Sapsuckers, Mourning Doves, Red Winged Black Birds, Nuthatches, Black Capped Chickadees, Juncos, Baltimore Orioles, Northern Flickers, Mallards,Rose Brested Grosbeaks, House Wren, Hummingbird, Cowbirds, Grackles, Starlings, Marsh Hawk, Pine Siskens, Brown Thrasher, Brown Creeper. Haven't seen a catbird yet or a few others. Hopefully soon:>)

I had my first ever yellow throated warbler yesterday (and again today). I also had my first baltimore oriole and ruby throat visit today!

Katoguy, are you sure it was a yellow throated warbler? Those are pretty rare in Minnesota, and congrats if it was, that's one heck of a yard bird!!

Wow! The birds are really active this morning. Since I posted the oriole this morning I have had a ruby throated hummingbird, and in a mad dash for the camera and after failure to focus, no CF error (because its in the card reader with a picture of an oriole),I missed getting a picture of my first sighting of an Indigo Bunting. Hopefully he comes back when I'm smarter.