• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bowfishing Roughfish pictures

Gordie

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is anyone still getting any bow action in MN in Oct.?

I found a spot on the Minnehaha where I've been having some fun wading during the warmer days

kinda like pheasant hunting coming up on weedpiles where I know they're hiding

ni3g.jpg

thats a pretty fish, mirror carp are cool.

that's a doozy aquafang! Must have been earlier in the season judging by the T-shirts.

I went out in my creek spot yesterday and the consistent cold temps have changed the carp behavior drastically. They are already slower and much less alert than they were just a couple of weeks ago. Even saw a few of them buried down in the leaves and mud- too easy to shoot so I let them be!

I actually prefer them more wary and fast, at least in my little spot that I hunt.

Does anyone here ever bowfish in the winter using a darkhouse?

I found out you don't need a microscope to see the growth rings on a carp scale. I pulled one off a 2-footer I just shot and with my naked eye it looked to be about 6 years old.

I also found this common carp growth chart from an Australian carp fishing forum;

One year old fish may be up to 200 mm (100 g)

Two year old up to 300 mm (350 g)

Three year old up to 400 mm (800 g)

Four year old up to 500 mm (1600 g)

Five year old up to 650 mm (3800 g) - Translation 24" and 8 pounds

of course all those numbers can vary depending on average annual water temps and food available but it would make sense that a 6-year old MN carp would be about 24" and 8 pounds which is what mine appeared to be- the next time I get a 32"-incher I'll check his scale out and let you guys know how old some of the bruisers can be

it kinda stinks killing grand old fish that have survived for so long, but that's what we signed up for the day we bought a fish arrow smile

Ok now that the season is open for everybody, let's see some pictures. We like success as much as failure in the spearing forum so share what you've got.

And let's try to make it look like we are enjoying ourselves and just try to smile once in a while ok?

Like this...

GEDC0100.jpg

From seasons past

Ok, here's the coolest carp I got all year (yesterday) and the biggest (May).

The first one is either a koi, koi/carp hybrid, or simply a carp with an unusual color variation that resembles a koi.

When I shot at it, I thought it was diseased or had mud stuck on its head as it was obviously much lighter than the rest of the grey-colored commons.

The big one (37-inches) is actually one of two that I got that size that day last spring. Both were perfect shots right in the shoulder and put on very long and hard fights. Glad I was patient and let them tire out to be able to bring them in.

I actually spent most of the summer spearfishing rather than bow fishing and had an incredible season. Though I got lots of fish in the 30-34 inch range, nothing topped my two 37-inchers bow fishing.

At the bottom are some bonus buffalos from real early in the season.

xMX3BAq.jpg

t2fMaIY.jpg

h0eNXS4.jpg

xMEZ4DJ.jpg

ICBV1mU.jpg