• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Walkie Talkie's

trophyhunter

Question

I am looking to buy a set of walkie talkie's and would like some imput. I like the idea of being able to reach close to 5-miles. This requires a FCC license. What does that involve? Does it cost money? Is it a one time thing to get the license? I will be using them in the fishhouse, boat, and between vehicles. Any imput will be helpful. Thanks!

------------------
"A trophy is in the eye of the beholder"

16 answers to this question

Hello,

I am not positive that you need a license for that. I used to run CB's quite a bit, and I think as long as your output watt rating is at 4 watts or below you can opperate without a license.

I saw at Fleet Farm that they have motorola walkies for $80 a pair and were rated for up to 5 miles.

Scott

Trophy,

We have the 2 mile rated walkies and they seem to work good on the lake. Of course there aren't any trees etc. to hinder the signal from traveling.

Are you looking for something for more in the woods as well?

thanks, Westlin

I just bought a pair of the Cobra GMRS/FRS personal radios that had the NOAA for approx. $80.00 that has a 5 mile range. No license needed. You can also buy a CB radio either handheld or base station which has an even greater range, no license needed for these either, these work differently of course than the little walkies. I seen an ad recently for the little GMRS walkies that has up to a 7 mile range. It all depends on what your looking for I guess. Hope this helps.

-----------

Fishn'Lady

[This message has been edited by Fishn'Lady (edited 01-20-2003).]

You DO need an FCC license to use GMRS frequencies. Not many folks know this and it's rarely mentioned by retailers that sell GMRS radios (particularly hunting/fishing/etc. outlets), or on the packaging for that matter. Not sure how strongly it's enforced, but just wanted to point out the fact that you COULD possibly get in trouble.

[Code of Federal Regulations]
[Revised as of October 1, 2000]
From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access
[CITE: 47CFR95.3]
[Page 519]

TITLE 47--TELECOMMUNICATION COMMISSION (CONTINUED)
PART 95--PERSONAL RADIO SERVICES--Table of Contents
Subpart A--General Mobile Radio Service GMRS)
Sec. 95.3 License required.

Before any station transmits on any channel authorized in the GMRS from any point (a geographical location) within or over the territorial limits of any area where radio services are regulated by the FCC, the responsible party must obtain a license (a written authorization from the FCC for a GMRS system).

[53 FR 47714, Nov. 25, 1988]

[This message has been edited by Matt D (edited 01-20-2003).]

Thanks Matt

That's good to know. I know they certainly didn't tell me in the store about an FCC license needed on GMRS. Thanks for the heads up.

I found this small print on Cobra's FAQ section on GMRS Radios:

To use GMRS radios, you must apply for a license from the FCC. No test is required, but there is a license fee. To learn more, please call the FCC at 888-CALL-FCC.

It also says that you do NOT need a license to operate on the FRS channels and they generally operate in a 2 mile range.

---------

Fishn'Lady

I've been wanting to get a pair for awhile now. Checked out a number of sites trying to get good info. Like anything I buy, I tend to over-research but some things I just like to buy once. Looks like Motorola and Cobra are the big ones and good quality. I like the weather info, but that jacks the price up. Figure I'll get a cheap pair of Cobra's with the recharge base and later on, get a good Motorola. I think the FRS are fine for most use over the GMRS and the yearly fee. Input on specific models or brands anybody?

FRS
Power limit : 500mw or 1/2 watt
Range: up to two mile LOS (Line of Site)
UHF Frequency

There are no requirements to operate FRS but keep in mind LOS means line of sight. If theres a good hill between you and whoever, you wont get there.

GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service)
Power Limit: I believe 1 watt
Range: Reported 5 miles (I doubt it) Maybe 3?

Although more powerful, you're still dealing with LOS communications. One way to improve this is to get your antenna as high as possible. Some units, like my midland, allow you to hook up an external antenna. GMRS also provides more encoding squelches for heavy traffic areas. Liscense required.

MURS
Power Limit: 2 Watts
Range: 5 miles

Probably your best choice for HH communications. Also UHF LOS. Expensive but effective. Liscense required.

CB
Power Limit : 4 Watts
Range: ?

Here's where I'll try not to get too techy on ya. CB is in the HF range for frequency. The lower the frequency, the bigger the antenna to carry it. Note on a car the cell phone antenna (900MHz) is rather small where a CB antenna (27MHz) is much larger. The stub of an antenna on HH CB units will maybe get you a block or two down the street. Not recomended.

Hope this helps.

Chunky

[This message has been edited by chunkytrout (edited 01-21-2003).]

Why don't you buy a hand-held Marine Band radio?

You can hook-up with many other people (at one time if you wish), get weather updates, use it on the water or ice and call for help if you need to...just a thought...

------------------
Chells

You could carry around one of them big base unit CB's with a 102" stainless steel whip. Then you wouldn't have a good ground though, but the lake would serve as your ground plane. That should get ya out a good 7 miles and maybe 10 if your LOS isn't blocked.

On the other hand, it would be rather bulky. wink.gif Gee ya' think?

"sought da' fish?"

I got a set of moterola T5820's at gander for a hundred bucks. The discription said they are supposed to have a range of five miles but after a couple they seem to get statiky. Other than that they work great.

Eight of the 22 channels on the 5820's are GMRS. These are the ones that allow them to claim 5-mile range (2mi. for the other 14 FRS freq's), but ... same story; require a license to legally use those channels.

My fishin partner just bought 2 Radio Shack GMRS with 5 watts tx power. I didn't believe him until I read the package. These are real nice radio's that come with rechargable batt's. He paid $80 a piece. Along with the 15 channels they have like 10 weather channels and a emergency channel. Check them out at Radio shack.

[This message has been edited by #Boater# (edited 01-22-2003).]